would a deposit on medical treatment prevent you from recieving medical services

If you walked in to your physicians office and were told that you needed to put down a $50 deposit for a sick visit and. $100 deposit down on a well visit eventhough you have insurance. Would this prevent you from going to the dr.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't you mean co-pay? I have not ever had to do a deposit. Co-pay yes.
    Anonymous

• I've heard of deposits/copay/coinsurance having to be paid up front for surgeries and also right after consult visits or tests - but never just for general practice / primary care doctors visits.

Have you had a larger bill there before and taken longer to pay than the office wanted, that's a reason that some doctors might want up front payment.

Also I know of a doctor who does not bill any patients insurance no matter the insurance. Period. He gives patients bills and even h m o patients too have to get reimbursement from their insurance companies.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Most insurance I've had in the past required a copay at the doctor visits, usually $15. Considering it would cost a lot more without insurance, it was no big deal. That money was always due before I saw the doctor.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• For myself-yes. For my daughter-I would have to cut down on the amount of well visits, and call my doctor's office more often.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• OP Here this is a new blanket policy done by our pediatricians office. if you have a copay that is all you pay. If you have any other type of insurance like an 80/20 plan with a250 deductible you have to pay the deposit for services.
    honestly I don't have an extra 50 per child for a sick visit and in weeks like this week it could have been 250+ in sick visit fees vs getting a bill for our 20% and the portion of the deductible since ir insurance with holds deductibles out bit by bit. And the ee thing is the 100 for well child visits fpr 5 kids when our insurance covers 100% minus vaccines regardless f weather the deductibleb has been met or not
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Ouch, your pediatrician's office might see a sudden downturn in business with a policy like that. Many parents might even start jumping ship to more financially friendly practices - I know I would.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2010