4 yr old pees pants

My son will be 4 this weekend. I can not seem to get him to 'choose' to use the bathroom when he is involved in some activity he does not want to quit. He will use the potty just fine on his own normally though. I have tried making him take a 15 min break from all activity when it happens. He does not like it, but it does not seem to effect the frequency. I've also tried making him stay in his wet pants, but the result is the same as above. I don't know what else to try! HELP!

mileymoo

Asked by mileymoo at 6:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is 3 1/2 and he was doing good with not wetting his pants until recently. I have been telling him to go potty every 30 mins or so and he does and hasn't had a accident...maybe you can try that.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 7:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I know boys take longer than girls. Has he had any emotional trauma in his life? Sometimes that can affect it, too. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• :) Why yes he has had a sort of 'trauma.' His baby sister was born in October, but he actually started having his accidents a few months into my pregnancy. I do think the two occurrences are related, because he was fully potty trained for almost a year before I got pregnant... but I just don't know how to help it get better. I will try to remind him more often, but he fights me tooth and nail and will swear up and down he doesn't have to go- even though I can see him squirming! It ends up being a fight of wills- and either I have to drag him to the bathroom, threaten punishment for 'choosing' not to use the potty (not punish for having an 'accident'), or I tell him I will trust him and he ends up peeing his pants. It's so frustrating!
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 8:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Just tell him that as soon as he feels that he has to go to the bathroom to go, He can Always come back and finish playing with whatever he was playing with after he goes potty in the bathroom. Tell him that you understand that what he is doing is so much funand interesting but going to the bathroom when you have to go potty is more important ,since he's becoming a big boy now. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2010