Problems at work!!

Ok So I have been at my current job almost 2 yrs. My boss told me back in May when I had kidney stones that had to be removed and I missed 7 days in a row that I missed too much work. She also told a co-worker of mine when her grandmother passed away that grandparents didn't count as immediate family.(they do and it's in our employee handbook) Shes an uber bitch. I thought I was preggers back during the summer and when I ended up not being she said she was glad and hoped I didn't get pregnant. She also added that she prayed that I never got pregnant. My BP has already been going up b/c of her. My first appt is coming up and she pitched a fit because it is on a monday and said I had to change it. The dr office can't reschedule me for 2 more weeks. She is going to freak out and yell at me. I thought about just calling in sick that day. I can bring a dr excuse to work. What do yall think I should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would discuss these issues with the head of your Human Resources Department. As long as you have the proper medical excuses/documentation and are within your company handbook guidelines, there isn't anything she can do about it. Of course, that's not to say she'll find a legal loophole to terminate your employment if she wants, but she cannot write you up or terminate you BECAUSE of medical conditions, bereavement, doctor's appointments, etc.

She may be more "bark" than bite. Some managers think it is more effective to "threaten" their employees, than to work with them. I would however, "lay low" if you are pregnant and need to make related appointments--no need to give her reasons to try and fire you! I would try and meet her half way, by saying you'll work later than usual, work through lunch (eating at your desk), and/or take work home, in order to make up the time/work missed due to such appointments.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Doctor appointments should be scheduled after work, on your own time.  If I had your boss, I would go over her head. Talk to her boss. Except for that. I would not even talk to her unless I really had to.  Avoid her, or start looking for a different job.

Answer by louise2 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Explain to me how you schedule a dr appointment on "your own time" when I work Monday thru Friday 8-5? My OB's office is only open 8-5 Mon-Thurs. When I scheduled this appointment my assistant mgr said it was ok. My boss is just psycho and wants to show she has authority over everone in my branch.

As for going to HR my co-worker made a complaint on her, the VP came out to our office the next day and made her sign a piece of paper saying if there were anymore problems out of her that she would be fired. They back mgrs at all costs. I have been a mgr before and never talked to my employees and belittled them the way she does all of us.
    Anonymous

• Keep records of it, you could file an anon complaint. Is there anyone outside of HR you could go to? I wouldve been looking for another job a long time ago, being mistreated is no fun. Make sure you tell her in a firm but respectful way that you dont apreciate how you are being spoken to and treated!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• "As for going to HR my co-worker made a complaint on her, the VP came out to our office the next day and made her sign a piece of paper saying if there were anymore problems out of her that she would be fired."

I'm confused on the pronouns...you mean the VP made the CO-WORKER sign such a note? Or made the manager sign it?

If it was the former, I'd be looking for another job as fast as I could...and I'd even take a pay cut.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:53 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• They made the coworker sign the note!
    Anonymous

• www.eeoc.gov or contact your state department of labor

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2010