How to find a good babysitter????

Just wondering how others found a good babysitter? where did you look? How much did you pay an hour? What were your expectations of them??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we put an ad in the local paper for our babysitter...we only used her for a year, but it worked out well. we interviewed about 20 people. we wanted someone part time, so i could go to work part time. first of all, i made everything as easy as possible for the babysitter. meals were always prepared, they just needed to be heated and served. 1/2 of the time the boys were napping when she was there. i never asked her to feed them foods they didn't like, i wanted them to have fun with her, i wanted it to be a good experience for everyone. she was paid $10 an hour, and she was older...a grandmother. now i have 4 kids, and a 5th on the way, and i can't imagine how much i would have to pay a sitter now!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Other than family, only 2 people watch my girls. They're two college age girls who go to our church. My kids are 3 years old and 9 months old.. When they get a little older, I won't be quite so strict about who watches them. But I can tell you, it will ALWAYS be someone I know well.
    We pay $6-8 dollars an hour. And I try not to expect anything other than feeding, playing, and perhaps tucking in to bed.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 7:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• We don't have anyone other than friends or family watch our LO, b/c like you I don't know where to look to find a good babysitter. I live in the same neighborhood where I grew up and I babysat for a bunch of our neighbors growing up. I am a good babysitter for a family of mine that I used to take care of at a pediatric practice. I am their only sitter outside of family. If you figure it out let me know.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I use family for now. But when I was in college, a family posted an ad on our message board looking for a sitter. My friend replied and got a steady job out of it. The family was friends with another family looking for a sitter, so she introduced me to them. The mom had me come over several times while she was home, and since I was going to do school pick-up, she had me drive her around a bit. Colleges are great places to look, especially if you have one nearby.
    Anonymous

• My parents are the main babysitters but when they are unable, my best friend's mom watches her. I trust her and she is like family anyways. I do not pay her, she would kick my butt if I tried (sometimes when money is tight in the summer, she has surprised me with a can of formula in the diaper bag when I pick her up).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2010