Entitled...

Some people keep saying that healthcare is a right, that the government should PROVIDE it. Aren't food and housing rights too. Will people be screaming for free food and housing next, because it is a right? All opinions are welcome but, please be nice. I simply think government healthcare is a slippery slope the AMERICAN TAXPAYERS can't afford.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Food, shelter, medical care...all required to survive.
    Anonymous

• You mean things like public assistance will come into play?

Next thing you know we'll have Social Security.
    Anonymous

• **OP** I am not talking about people who are down on their luck. I am talking about the people simply want whatever they can get for free.
    Anonymous

It's costing us BILLIONS now....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• The federal government is held to provide very few things.. very important things but few..and none of it involves health insurance for all citizens.They are to promote the common welfare not provide it.Of course we have went way beyond that.

6
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• **OP** and I am not talking about the elderly. I am talking about ABLE BODIED people that simply don't want to better themselves and provide healthcare for their kids and themselves. I got into a discussion with a coworker who said that he wanted free healthcare because him and his wife (both working fulltime making decent money) didn't want to have to provide healthcare for their daughter. I'm sorry, I fail to see where their failure to plan for their future, constitutes an emergency on my part.
    Anonymous

• Food- Food stamps and WIC

Housing- PA payments and S8H

Those 2 are already covered.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• It is NOT the Federal Government's role to provide healthcare for all... It is the role of the Federal Government to defend the constitution and protect the citizens of this nation from attack. SOME [progressives] have taken extreme liberties to the 'general welfare' clause to mean they are ENTITLED to have the Federal Government nanny, care, and provide for them. Pathetic.  Imagine if our fore fathers and the citizens of their time had felt as entitled...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• yep and its promote not provide..there is a difference it is not the same.The federal government is to provide for the common defense..they are obligated to protect us
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Look into the second bill of rights, oh and he wasn't talking about Section 8 or food stamps he was talking about for EVERYONE not some that qualify.

It is NOT the governments job to care for you. You have free will use it. You don't like your job? Quit! You want nicer more expensive things? Get the loans, grants,scholarships, to get the education, to get the job ,to get the pay, to buy it yourself! I don't think a janitor should be paid the same as a doctor. The things you want and "need" like health insurance are incentives. Meaning you'll do what you need to get it, if you want it bad enough. Under the second bill of rights it takes away everyone's incentive to be better... why go to college to be a doctor when I can be a janitor and make the same amount?
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010