BF and pierced nipples

Have you (or do you know anyone who has) tried to breastfeed after having pierced nipples? How did it work?

I'm considering getting my nipples pierced but I don't want to be unable to nurse my next baby (I don't plan on having another one for at least 3 years). Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.pregnancy.org/article/breast-tattoos-nipple-piercings-and-breastfeeding

This article says that even if some of the little pores where milk comes out of are damaged by the piercing that there are plenty of others.

Answer by Bmat at 8:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• http://www.cerean.net/breastfeeding-nipple-pierced.asp   might want to read this... are you sure you want to do this? Our nipples were never meant to have extra holes and I would be concerned with too much milk flowing at once into a baby's mouth.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• i had to take mine out bc my boobs got too big, they closed up. i guess you can take them out when you go to feed the baby and try to put them back in. more than likely it wont work out, b/c your looking at some major infections putting them in and out and breastfeeding
    Anonymous

• i have mine pierced and bf both my boys. 13 months and 16 months. i haven't worn jewelry in them for years now because of it, but they're still pierced. that's the only downside... while your bfing you'd have to take the jewelry out to nurse, so baby doesn't choke on one accidentally, so i just took them out all together until baby weaned.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 8:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• also... thought i'd add that i never had any problems w/the piercings leaking or getting infected. any leaking was just due to needing to nurse! and i had them pierced for a good 5 yrs before having my first baby.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 8:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Shaneagle, milk DOES NOT come out of the piercing holes.

Oy.
    Anonymous

• I've also heard that milk can come out of the pierced holes. It's safe, as far as I know, as long as you remove the jewelry for feedings.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My nips were pierced - i haven't had jewlery in them in about two years, but the holes are still there. Hasn't affected me breastfeeding my three-month old at all.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I had one pierced for a few years, then when I was pregnant with my 1st, I took it out. Haven't had any trouble at all.

If I had kept the piercing in, I would have removed it for each feeding which would be a HUGE pain ... imo. Anyway... It wasn't a big deal at all, has had no effect at all on my nursing, actually..... all three of my children have "preferred" the breast that had been pierced, have NO Idea of what affect there might have been. :)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• BTW... of all my piercings and I have had a total of 5, that was the MOST painful to get. :) I know it's different for everyone, but just thought I'd throw that out there LOL
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2010