Not able to move out on my own?

Ok, i am a young single mother in college, i also have epilepsy that is NOT under control, and i wanted to move out but now im not so sure i can handle it, is it bad that i say im not ready yet, im not sure how i can go to college when i have no childcare provider and im not sure how to handle my epilepsy because ill be on my own with my 2 year old daughter. I need some advice and please no bashing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'd think that controlling the epilepsy would be the first priority. Get that done, and the rest will be easier for you.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Have you spoken with your Mom or Dad about it? Asking for help isn't a bad thing. It's okay to say "this is what I want but I'm not sure how to get there" If not your parents , an aunt, uncle, mature friend, counselor at school. Start with a plan. One step, one day at a time. "What you can concieve you can achieve"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• agreed
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• You don't mention any problems w/ your parents so I would concentrate on getting your epilepsy under control. Controlling a condition, raising a child, and going to college is alot. I can't imagine to many of us could do that w/o help. I agree with the plan idea. Take baby steps. Write down your goals and that will help you set your priorities. Break the bigger goals into little steps so you can see yourself moving forward. Don't expect it to fall into place all in one day.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Well she doesnt mind if i move out or not, but everyone was telling me how proud they were of me, and now i feel like i am letting everyone down
    clarasmommy08

Answer by clarasmommy08 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• On top of the epilepsy, i have bipolar disorder, panic disorder, anxiety and major depression... i dont have any problems with my parents or my daughters fathers parents (my fiance died last year) i just feel... bad, anyone else living at home?
    clarasmommy08

Answer by clarasmommy08 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Your an adult and should be living on your own. Having all your medical condtions shouldn't be an excuse.
    Anonymous

• IF you are speaking to your parents, talk to them. I honestly know that if my adult child was in the same situation that you are now, I'd do everything in my power to help. You don't worry about living at home if they are being the support that you need til you get back on your feet. That's what family is for.
    And to Anon. :52....what a rude answer. Having medical conditions can be a mitigating factor in one's ability to be in a situation where one is completely alone with a small child. One has to think not only of themselves, but also of the child.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Wow, tough times. You definitely have a full plate. Even the most impossible situation can turn out for your best. How many times I look back, see and understand now why things had to happen as they did. You are not alone in your need to live at home. SO MANY young people find themselves in the same situation for so many reasons. I have a grown daughter that needs to live with me. She has a daughter 19 and a 5 year old. She is still married, but found he might be a very dangerous person. She, too, wants out ...to be on her own and is disappointed with herself. So for right now - WE need to pull together, get whatever medical, emotional help we can get and itch along until a solution presents itself. It's NOT EASY is it? Try not to beat yourself up.. sometimes life is already doing just that. You can get in control of many of the issues you mentioned. Make sure you let your family know what you need from them...

mray27

Answer by mray27 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I agree ,if you can find someone to help you with your problem first ,then go with that, help yourself first.And take everything else slowly don't rush yourself to do anything just go at your pace. make your plans and move on. good luck ;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2010