Do you think breastfeeding past the age of 3 is selfish?

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No. Why would it be selfish? I believe in child-led weaning. My daughter (now 21 mo) will wean herself when she's ready. Plain and simple. Nothing selfish about it.

If anything, NOT breastfeeding is selfish. Just my opinion.

Answer by christaberk at 8:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• How is it selfish?

I really don't understand that comment, is it different to continue in this country, yes, but that does not equal selfish..

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Have you ever breastfed? Have you put up with the nipple soreness, the inconvenience, the sleeplessness, the utter lack of a schedule that comes along with it?

Nah. Not selfish...the return to self upon the time investment is way too poor for this to be selfish. The true return on investment goes to the CHILD.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• HA! No, anyone who has done extended breastfeeding would know it is anything but selfish! Extremeley selfLESS would be more like it.

Answer by gramsmom at 9:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I don't think that it is selfish, but I think it is a little odd. To each is own. I couldn't have done it that long.

• I do not understand the selfish part. But neither do I understand breastfeeding until 3. They can eat meat by then, what do they need a nipple for? No offense, I just don't get it.

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Meat does not have antibodies in it. No food besides human milk has antibodies for human babies/toddlers/children.

And I don't think it's selfish at all. You cannot force a child to nurse if they don't want to. It's physically impossible. How many times do we hear that a 3,4,5 etc. month old has decided to stop nursing against their mother's wishes (which is rare, btw)? If someone can't force a tiny 4-month-old, how could they possibly force a willful toddler to nurse?

Answer by mommy2aftan at 9:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Its up to the child and mother plain and simply, I may go to one year, 2, who knows I am working so i do not nurse 24/7 anymore but pump milk for him to have while im away and keep formula around just in case. If it doesn't last long or does who cares why do you care what others do?

Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• No, it would be the opposite of selfish.... selfless.

Answer by catholicmamamia at 9:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• NOT selfish. I agree with christaberk, not brestfeeding at all is selfish (but its every womans choice). And what kinds of food or how much has nothing to do with breasfeeding. Breastmilk has so many wonderful things in it. If people would actually research it and find out just 10 facts of breastfeeding they'd be amazed of how important it really is. My boobie baby has been nursing 11 months and counting! :)

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2010