When is a good time to have a baby socialize with other kids?

My neighbor says I need to bring my 6mos old over more often because it'll be good for her social skills and she needs child interaction...I think she's a bit too small right now because her kids are 2 and 3 years. And her 2 year old has never been around any other kids, so she always needs to be watched around my daughter. Any thoughts? Is my daughter too young still?

Samie8183

Asked by Samie8183 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No all children need to be around other children. Your friend is right and her child will learn how she has to be gentle around her to. My DD best friend is my friends 6 month old and My DD is 21 months old. My DD is great around her BFF.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• My daughter has been haning around other babies since she was 3.5 months old. There is 3 months difference between my daughter and my best friends daughter. She likes other children.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I started bringing my DD around my 2 year old brother a couple weeks ago. She is 4 months now. She loves talking and playing with him. If he starts playing to rough around her, I simply tell him to be careful around the baby and he calms down. If I show her a picture of another baby or have her look at herself in the mirror, she talks and laughs up a storm. I don't think your DD is too young but work within your comfort zone. If you don't feel up to it, it's fine.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• 6 month old babies really don't need socialization. It won't hurt her, but she doesn't NEED it.
    Anonymous

• I do think that babies should be socialized pretty early, but having a little baby around toddlers won't do much for your little one. Have you looked for any playgroups with babies around the same age? The library in my town has a Baby Lapsit hour that I'm going to start going to - my daughter will be three months next week. This way, she'll make some baby friends & I can meet some other moms.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• she will do fine if you take her, and fine if you don't. She will get colds either way, she would no doubt enjoy the change of scenery, and most 6 months old watch other kids with fascination. I don't really see any drawbacks to going there for a coffee, you aren't leaving her there for the day
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010