Job search frustrations

I need advice, if possible, on searching for a job. I've been out of work for more than a year. I worked clerical in healthcare for over 15 years. For at least 12 of those years, I worked part time. I was laid off from a job 15 months ago due to funding cuts in the research study I was working for.

After looking for part time work, and getting nowhere (probably because there are 3 colleges here and many students looking for part time work), I've decided to look for full time work. Out of what seems like millions of applications/resumes I've sent out since December, I've interviewed for exactly 3 positions. Of those three, I've not been offered a job. What can I do? I've been told I interviewed well. I have good references, even a former department head. So what can I do to land a job? Any suggestions? I'm so frustrated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Maybe you could find a temp agency that could find you something right now.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• If your intrested in a at home job pm me and i can help with that :)
    famedcheeze

Answer by famedcheeze at 9:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• There are more great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I would also suggest networking as a start. You said that you have 3 colleges in your area could you take your resume to the business department at one of them and have a professor look at it? We have a program like that at my college and it really helps a lot of people. I would also suggest that you identify exactly what it is about you that makes you marketable to an employer. How many times have you been in an interview and they asked you why they should hire you? Did you have to stop an think about it? In my managment classes I have learned that this is something that at times can sway a potential employer away from hiring you. Find a buddy and practice interview with them. They might be able to catch what it is that is throwing you off. Do you have a degree? If so contact your alumni department and see if perhaps they can help. At our school we have a system in place to help grads find employment all over the USA.
    brownbaggirl

Answer by brownbaggirl at 11:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• (cont from above) Also just to get your foot in the door a temp agency isn't a bad idea. I know of a lot of people who have been hired full time after temping. I work at home so I haven't had to face the unemployment crisis personally, but my husband was laid off last year and he started temping for a short time. It got us through until he found something else. Also my sister works for this company called Driveline. She gets to set up her own hours. It isn't in the medical field but it would be a paycheck. You can see if they need anyone in your area the website is www.drivelineretail.com. If that doesn't work out for you and you would like to check into working from home let me know and I can share some info with you on what I do. Best of luck in your search. It will get better there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
    brownbaggirl

Answer by brownbaggirl at 11:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Thank you ladies. I've done some of the things you suggested, but I will keep the rest in mind as well. I'm just getting so discouraged.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2010