Advice on teaching a K-1 class

I will soon be teaching a Sunday school class of K-1 kids. I know everything about toddlers, because I have one, but nothing about this age group. Please help me, I need some advice! It is a zoo in there!

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I do both individual awards and table points with my students. I really like table points for it encourages the children to work together, and get their table in order. I often hear kids whispering to other kids to be quiet and pay attention, for they WANT those points. The individual system is good, but DOESN'T work for everyone. Some kids don't give a damn if they get into trouble by the teacher, but will care if they have upset the students sitting at their table. It's interesting at that age.

Anonymous

• They'll need a ROUTINE. Have a morning activity to start them with everyday, like a morning story, or song at the carpet. Establish class rules. You may want to make some sort of behavior chart/award system for them. For my first graders I award table points each day. The table with the most points at the end of the day picks from treasure box.
    Anonymous

• Table points is a bad idea. It only takes one bad apple to ruin it for the ones who are doing well.

If you're going to do a reward system, do it on an individual basis.

Anonymous

• My daughters teacher has a chart posted that shows exactly what activity that they are doing at what time of the day in class. It helps the kids to know what to expect. She also uses individual points and table points. She moves kids around to different tables as needed, like a more active child at a table with a quieter child. She also talks in a quiet voice, it seems that the kids work harder to listen to her when she speaks because she is so quiet.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Find a way to get them up and moving a couple of times during the class. Many K-1 kids love to dance, jump, and be silly. Anytime I can incorporate those things into the lesson, the kids LOVE it!
    Getting them actively involved in the class is the key. If you can make a game of the lesson, that could help, too. We've done Jesus bingo, Mother May I (get to move forward after answering a question correctly), and even start the class off with something as simple as the Hokey Pokey. It gets the fidgets out.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2010