Questions for Mormons

Since it was brought up in another questions that people tend to go to outside sources for answers, I thought I would ask a few of my questions here for the LDS mommies to answer. Sorry if they seem ridiculous or offensive, mockery is not my intent!

What DO Mormons believe? I think I've asked a few of them that question but never got an answer.

Are there arranged marriages? What happens if one doesn't work out?

Why do Mormons seem so...exclusive? Like, they don't like to socialize outside their circle..

Also, what is the general opinion of those outside the Mormon faith? Are we considered corrupt or bad?

Anything else we should know about Mormons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• First, let me say thank you for asking so openly, and asking us. It's frustrating for anyone to be lumped into a general idea that may or may not be correct. Also, let me just say that Mormons, like people from all faiths, are individuals, so what I write is my opinion, it's what we're taught, but may not be what happens. Sad, but it's a true fact of life.

We believe that God is our father, we are his children, and Jesus is our brother and Savior. We believe that Jesus Christ suffered for all the sins of all the people who have ever lived, or ever will live. So, when people say Mormons aren't Christian, you can tell them that. We also believe in the Holy Ghost. There are two other main beliefs that I should mention. First is that we believe that families are essential to happiness in this life and in the life to come. Yes, we believe there is a life to come. We also believe, that through certain special temple ceremonies...
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• For what we believe check out http://mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/basic-beliefs/the-restoration-of-truth/the-restoration-of-truth

No our marriages are not arranged.

I talk to everyone. I don't care if they are Mormon or not. My best friend is not Mormon.

No we do not believe that those outside our religion are bad or corrupt.

Go to mormon.org for more answers. Or PM me I will answer your questions.

ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I used to be mormon, but I can answer a few of the questions.
    "Are there arranged marriages?" Not that I'm aware of... Of course, like any other engaged-to-be-married couples, the families will try to give their $0.02, but that's about it, lol!

"Why do mormons seem so exclusive?" There's comfort in numbers, just like any other group. But, I know a ton ton ton of mormons who are NOT exclusive & are very friendly with "outsiders". They, like anyone else, just want to be accepted.. and if they're not accepted by those outside the faith, then they at least know that they're accepted inside the faith. *shrug*

"Also, what is the general opinion of those outside the Mormon faith? Are we considered corrupt or bad?" When I was a mormon, I didn't have any negative opinions about non-mormons. I lived by "judge not". Obviously not everyone shares the same sentiment, but you'll get that with any religious group.
    Anonymous

• ... families can be together forever. That being said, the second belief we have is known as 'agency'. This means that we believe all people have the ability to choose what they want to do with their lives, and to choose good or bad things/activities. Those choices are not without consequence, so if you choose to smoke, you will have health consequences for that. As an example. There are also spiritual consequences too.

There are NO arranged marriages. There is NO accepted polygamy anymore.

Some Mormons don't know how to be friends with people outside our faith without compromising their beliefs. That's how they see it. I, personally, feel that being friends with someone should be based on interests and personality, NOT religious belief or race or any other difference. People outside the mormon faith are just people to me. Again, some mormons have a tendency to be judgemental.
    More information can be found at mormon.org.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I used to be mormon. I was raised in that church for 19 years. I also live here in Utah. Here's my input...

1. Mormons believe in the Book of Mormon. To them, it is more sacred than the bible itself. They do not believe the bible was translated correctly. The Book of Mormon is what their church is based off of. A teenager founded the church a long time ago when he found the golden plates buried in a hill. This is a very detailed story and I definitely don't have time to explain everything.

2. There are no arranged marriages. It is sort of the norm (at least here in Utah) for a kid to get married right when he gets back from his mission at age 21.

3. Mormons seem exclusive because most are not comfortable out of their circle of religious friends. Most mormons believe that if you aren't of their faith, then you must not have the same morals and standards as them.

4. I pretty much explained this in question three...
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• ... they also believe that if you are not baptized mormon, you will not make it into the highest level of heaven (they believe in three levels).

5. There is a ton you should know about mormons. Too much to touch on... so little time.
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• 1) This is a link to our official church website, a page about our basic beliefs.http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/basic-beliefs/the-restoration-of-truth/the-restoration-of-truth it's a good resource to start with. 

2) No arranged marriages. We aren't pro-divorce, but it's allowed in our religion if a marriage doesn't work.

3) Most of us do have friends of other beliefs, but you might find LDS folks hanging out with each other a lot by the default of some of our beliefs...like we "meet together often," so we just happen to have lots more chances of getting to know one another.

Anonymous

• We also tend to date and marry within our faith because it's just easier to share dating standards and ideals of how a marriage should be. I know something that kept me from hanging out more with my non-LDS friends in high school is alcohol is against my religion, and I just wasn't interested in going to their "lets get drunk" parties.

It's not meant to be stand-offish. I'd hate to give that impression to anyone.

4) We believe all faiths have truth to one degree or another. We don't believe having a different faith is going to send you to hell or anything like that. We just believe there are more truths and blessings to be found within our beliefs.

5) We're pretty big on people "knowing for themselves." In other words we all should do our own studying, pondering, praying, getting answers as individuals through the power of the Holy Ghost, etc rather than just following.
    Anonymous

• If you go here: http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,106-1-2-1,FF.html.html these are are Articles of Faith, which is what we believe. Like others have said no arranged marriages. As far as #3-why do we seem exclusive.I have no idea. I have always lived in places where I was in the religious minority. I would say 99% of the friends I have had throughout my life, havent been Mormon. It may be that you do have many people around you who are Mormon, they just donot talk about their religious affiliation. We are just everyday people, it's not like we are Amish, where you see us and automatically know that we are members of the church. The general opinion of those outside the church is that they have lots of the truth, just not all of it. Like for example, Baptism. We believe Baptism should be done by immersion.

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• We do have a different more complex idea of the afterlife than most Christians. We do not believe any non-Christian goes to hell. In fact we believe very few people will go there. People who are generally good people, will have a place in one of 3 levels of heaven. This comes from 1Corinthians 15:40-41, 2Corinthians 12:2-4, If you have more questions feel free to ask in LDS Moms group here is the link: http://www.cafemom.com/group/42/forums/42/General_Discussion. You don't have to be a member to ask questions and there are plenty of moms who are happy to answer what you have to ask!

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2010