Do you ever feel like a bad mom?

I feel like I'm always frustrated with my children. Like I wake up and start counting down the hours til nap time. Then when they wake up from nap time I start counting down the hours til bed time. How shitty is that? Is it normal to feel this way?? I mean it's not EVERY day that I feel like that but I feel like it more than 1/2 the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I couldn't say if it is "normal," but I have had similar episodes, so I know how you feel. It can make you feel like a bad mother, but, as long as you love your child/ren and provide them the things they need, you are doing fine.
    What has helped me is trying to be healthier. You'd be amazed at how much it helps your mentality to get a little more sleep, drink a little more water, exercise a little more, etc..
    Anonymous

• I lose my patience sometimes but for the most part I enjoy my daughter. Maybe start a hobby? Go to the salon and get a manicure? Sounds like you need a breather... Been there too. Good luck
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I feel like that alot to somedays. My kids don't listen to me, and they follow me around the house all day. I can't do any house work unless they are taking a nap or in bed. Which I'd like to relax at those times, but that never happens. There is nothing wrong with you as a mother, we all have those feelings. My kids drive me nuts, but I still love me kids regardless of how much they drive me insane.
    Anonymous

• you're stressed. kids are crazy. the end.
    you're not a bad mommy. you have them in mind all the time, don't you? you love them, even when they drive you up the wall. you feel bad for getting mad.
    we've all been there. hell, i'm there now. good luck, and don't forget to breathe!
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah... don't get wrong. I LOVE my kids... they just drive me so crazy!
    Anonymous

• That's why I'm thankful for the public school system,lol.... I love them dearly but it's so nice when they all get on the bus, I take a deep breath, then lay down and sleep until I wake up, which I NEVER used to do... At first I felt guilty but then I thought, hey I put my time in, I breastfed, was up at night, changed EVERY diaper, still kiss all booboo's... Now I run them around to b-ball, friends, school functions, etc, so my time at home alone is so nice! Just wait Momma your day's coming, you will have some peace. I look back now and sometimes wish I could hold them in my arms again, then I call my youngest (6) in and hold him on my lap and snuggle with him. Then they all 3 end up all snuggled up with me..lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I posted this question a month or so ago. You're not a bad mom, it's just all the little things build up sometimes and it's easy to get frustrated. I try to remind myself that this is just a stage, and one day we'll look back and wish they were still little and did all the cute stuff they used to, because one day, they're going to turn into us!!! Try to relax and instead of wishing the time away, try to enjoy it, because it won't last forever and one day they'll be gone and you'll be missing them. We all will.
    You are entitled to impatience/frustration, etc sometimes though too!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• All the time. There are days when I wake up, and count down the number of hours until nap time! My 19 month old is going thru the "terrible twos" and is testing me BIG TIME. It's frustrating, to say the least.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I agree with all of the above...KIDS DRIVE US NUTS TOO. My daughter has this behavior that makes her screams to the top of her lungs when we do not do what she says. OMG! she does this in public, too. I did not mention that she is intelectually disabled and for being born with underdeveloped lungs,,she uses them well...lol.. Don't beat yourself, I believe that you are doing a great job. If you become to stressed, take them to the park and let them run around while you relax on a bench. The behavior specialist that trys to help me, says that I need to set up my daughter with a structure..activites on a daily basis. NO TV she says, but come on!!! sometimes the television is a life saver. If it wasn't for Seseme Street, I might be in prison..lol
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 2:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I love my son, but I also love nap time. I think it's normal to need a break. If you feel like you are feeling that way to frequently then maybe you may be getting overwhelmed because there are no vacation days from being a mom. Maybe you need a day where someone will watch the kids for you so you can recharge. It goes a long way.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2010