Are canned vegetables even good for us?

Just wondering... Like corn, carrots, peas, green beans, sliced potatoes? any of them actually good to eat or just startches?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Good question.
    I stopped eating canned a long time ago, because I feel like any nutrients that were once there are probably lost in the process. I don't know that for a fact, but that's how I felt eating them. We eat fresh/frozen now and don't plan on going back.
    Anonymous

• I don't buy canned because of the sodium content... I only buy the frozen kind, or fresh when I can.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• They are, but not as good as fresh or frozen.
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Canned are better than none - just get the low sodium or no added salt. Potatoes aren't a vegetable, fyi. The only canned veggies we eat are green beans (and only when our own beans from our garden are gone) and sometimes mixed, rarely peas. I prefer fresh, frozen when fresh aren't available. But if for some reason you can't do fresh or frozen, canned is better than none.
    Anonymous

• I was raised on the farm and only ate fresh veggies.Canned to me tastes so gross. Plus if there are ingredients on the can I can barely pronounce then I don't want to eat it. I am picky like that. I try to go fresh whenever possible. I hate boxed meals and I try to cook homemade meals when I can. I am a great fan of crockpots because they save me so much time and I can add my ingredients.
    oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 10:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Canned food was originally created for survival rations during wartimes...it isn't meant to be eaten on a regular basis, it was meant to prevent starvation. If you can't keep fresh vegetables, then frozen is better than canned, frozen retains more nutrients. Canned have virtually none, and also have trace amounts of aluminum in them, which has been proven to lead to degenerative brain disease and altzeimers.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 11:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Someplace I read that the aluminum on the cans can produce some type of cancer. Sorry, I can not remember. It was long time ago and since them I have not buy one can.
    Anonymous

• Between the sodium, the canning process and the BPA I would have to say not really. They should be viewed as emergency rations. Fresh and frozen are better.
    Anonymous

• I would say that home canned vegetables are significantly a better source of nutrients than a store bought cans of veg. My parents have a farm and we are fortunate to have access to fresh food most of summer and fall. We can what is left at harvest or dehydrate and vacuum pack the rest. Try fresh first if it is affordable and then go with frozen at the store.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 12:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• It's good to include meat or other protein substitute and both a vegetable and a starch with every meal. As for canned vegetables vs. fresh/frozen; it goes like this vegetables are all good for you, however fresh is best, frozen is second best and canned is better than nothing. If you can’t keep fresh and want better than canned I suggest if you have a bulk foods place like I know Sams Club sells a large variety of frozen vegetables for great prices in bulk.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2010