What would you do if you were me?

My 6 month old son had a stuffy/runny nose for about a week. No fever, no cough, no loss of appetite or anything like that. He was just about over it and then we had his 6 month checkup 3 days ago. His doctor said he was doing perfectly and said that he didn't even have any signs that he was getting over a cold. Well last night, he started coughing in his sleep and has been coughing all day. No runny nose anymore, no fever, no loss of appetite...just a little bit more cranky than usual...not super smiley. I'm a first time mom so of course I'm thinking the worst...that he either has RSV, croup, or pnemonia. I am debating whether or not to take him back to the doctor tomorrow because I don't want to A. pay for an office visit for them to tell me he's fine and B. possibly expose him to WORSE in the waiting room. What would you do if you were me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i agree with not taking him in for fear of exposure to other things. it is winter and the air in our homes is very dry, do you use a humidifier? they are great!!!
    teething is a definite possibility too!
    as long as there is no fever i wouldn't worry at all. just keep an eye on him (as if youre not already ;)) and watch it get better!
    good luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Does he have any teeth coming in? Diaper rash or redness on bottom? My ds always has a runny nose while teething. And a couple times had a cough for a day or so that went away with no problems. It's really up to you as a mom. Each mother knows her child better than anyone else. And that goes for doctors too. don't be affraid to ask alot of questions or question their judgement if you have a feeling that involves your baby.
    Anonymous

• if he is just a bit cranky with no fever or loss of appetite there is no point in taking him to the drs again. They say kids have around 200 'incidents' in their first 5 yrs - illness of some sort. Even if he does get a temp it is his body doing what it is supposed to do.
    Keep up the fluids, plan a day of lots of cuddles, walks in the pram, warm bathes, whatever makes him happy. I would plan to keep him out of strong wind, and have him indoors before dusk as that is often a rapid change of temp and his little lungs might not like it.
    If it was a dangerous RSV or similar he would be crashing quickly, you would be in no doubt that he was a sick little fellow, not just a little cranky
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• He might be teething. Try a teething ring or get a wet wash cloth and let him chew on it.
    The doctor if not then I would just take him to the doctor. To see if he is teething or coming down with a cold.
    Mellooza

Answer by Mellooza at 10:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Exact same thing going on here! My DD's almost a year and last night developed her first cough. She's got no fever or runny nose, and is playing and eating normally. You cannot give a child under 4 cough medicine anyways, it can really screw up their respiratory functioning. I had to listen to this from the dr today lol. It's pointless unless they are having trouble breathing or have a fever, loss of appetite, etc. Dr said to let it run it's course. I would play the waiting game thru the weekend and see on Monday, unless of course your child gets worse. Good luck!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 10:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• If I'm questioning anything with anyone's health (mine or my kids) I call the doctor - at least get their opinion if I should come in or bring my child in.
    Anonymous