How can I convince my finace that joining a gym will be good for him???

I have started going to the gym, working out, cut back on alot of foods, on that Special K diet and lean cusines or healthy choice steamers for dinner. I really would love for my fiance to do the same. He knows he's overweight and has no energy. I've tried to encourage him it would be good for his health, energy, and I think it would change his mood for the better. He's always out of breath and complains his back hurts. He eats very unhealthy, I'm concerned about his heart. I've even suggested just going for walks outside, nothing works...HELP, WHat more can I possible do to change his mind...

tee1971

Asked by tee1971 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• simply put, you cant. He has to change his mind. I kept tellingmy Dh about the gym and i made sure to mention things i knew would interest him like raquetball and swimming indoors during the winter. He decided to join and now i go to a water areobics class with him. It is baby steps but ultimately he has to want to do it.

One thing you can do is cook differently for him, find new ways to cook food he loves. This worked really well with my DH, I tossed the processed foods and started cooking with fresh veggies, changed to turkey bacon and the really lean hamburger (but i rarely buy it nowadays) If we are out and he wants to stop for food i pull into subway. Just start making little changes and before you know it he will be eating better.

If he has back problems i would strongly suggest water areobics, my DH has bad knees and water areobics has been awesome for him and no sweat involved, we have fun taking the class.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Take out a really big life insurance policy on him. Tell him that if he is not going to take care of himself and grow old with you, he should please do you the courtesy of dying soon so you will be young enough to enjoy the insurance money with your next husband.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'm a Beachbody Coach and my goal is to help others get healthy, one person at a time! While I am obviously in business to make money,you do NOT need to be my customer for me to help you.

You can only do so much . you can't make someone change that doesn't want to but you can do stuff to help him without nagging him or him even realizing that you are doing things to help him be healthier.

Try some "subtle things" ... for example if you live together then
    Don't buy junk food -keep healthy foods around. Fruit, yogut, olives, nuts, granola bars, trail mix, veggies (carrots, celery, etc)
    If you have "finger foods" like this around, it's easier to snack on then having to make something.
    Cook with Canola or Olive oil
    Sautee or steam veggies
    Bake or broil meats - more chicken & fish, less red meat
    Small side salad w/ meals or larger portions of veggies and smaller of meat.
    Have a glass of water at each meal.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 8:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Log on to my website and read the success stories out loud .... make sure he is around and make comments about how this guy lost 50 lbs and kept it off, this lady looks awesome ... etc. etc. There are thousands of success stories. While many programs offer weight loss MOST of them say in very small print "results not typical" ... with Beachbody "results ARE typical"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/teamjacobs

Lots more suggestions... message me if you want them!

If he decides that he wants to do something, then I can help even more. Good Luck! Mary
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 8:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• go to some medical websites... addressing men's health and the benefits regular working out will have may work the best. by this of course i am referring to his sex life. working out will not only help his physique but increase his stamina...
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 9:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• haha..i like answer #2.
    if he ask you what you want for your bday or mothers day or whatever the next holiday is that rolls around...tell him thats all you really want is for him to give the gym a chance and that will make you happy. Surely he wouldnt turn that down if thats all you want as a gift??
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2010