About the Christian God

is it just me or is this particular God very self-centered, conceited, and just mean?

I mean he basically says: "Believe in me, without any proof OR I'll send you to hell. I don't care how good of a person you are, but if you refuse to acknowledge me as your savior - you are still going to hell to burn for all eternity"

Is it just me or is this pretty messed up... Why would a God, who supposedly created EVERYTHING in the entire UNIVERSE be this childish and narcissistic?

Just wondering..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That isn't MY Christian God.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Ugh...just get over it, OP. Or hey, i know-why not pick on anutha god? One that's not so 'narcissistic'....wait, that would mean he/she wasn't a god at all, wouldn't it? Either way, we get it..you don't believe, you won't believe. Move on!
    Anonymous

• You know I am a Christian & I have to admit to wondering this some time. I guess it can be traced back to adam & eve when they decided to eat from the Devil & disobey God. God gave them free will to decide if they wanted to believe or not. . . but its hard for me to understand sometimes too.
    God even said that He is a jealous God. He wants His children to LOVE Him & follow Him. . .its hard to put into words. I'm sorry Im not doing a good job explaining myself. I'll have to ponder this more & hopefully come up with something better
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Anon 23, why can't you just answer my question? You don't see how it's just a little messed up. And I didnt want to pick a different God, many other God's are not like this - which is why I chose this one.
    Anonymous

• Colts, I get that, really I do. Honestly, I think that that tid bit was added by man so that people would be more likely to believe.. after all if they don't believe in him they're going to hell right? I just cannot see how any person who is great and loving like the God he is suppose to be, could do such a thing to innocent people who simply chose another path.

And what happened to the Ancient Egyptians? Did they go to hell?
    Anonymous

• LOL He does seem that way doesn't He?

I believe God created us out of love and He simply wants us to respond in kind. If you believe/follow Him out of fear/guilt then there is a problem.

As for death, I simply believe He gives us what we want. If we want to be apart from Him, He will grant us that.

Punishment is reserved for the truly wicked.
    AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 10:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Why ask this question, when all you want is someone who agrees with you? I don't think you want someone who believes to answer your question, because even if they do, you already feel justified in believing He doesn't exist. If a person can't use scriptures because you'll feel it's biased, and if someone tells you that they believe because they have faith..what else is one to say other than, "Yeah, you know, I agree with you?"
    Anonymous

• And what happened to the Ancient Egyptians? Did they go to hell?

Not that I presume to know the mind of God, but I would like to think ...No.

AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 10:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I have always felt that way... Which is why he's not a God that I pay any attention to!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I don't see God that way. But to go into why I disagree with your conclusion would involve a long discussion on what in your question doesn't line up with what I believe an accurate representation of God entails. You see, I believe that God is love, completely, purely, unconditionally. I believe that the existence of Hell is completely contradictory to the concept of such a God and therefore hell cannot exist.

And I'm not the only Christian who doesn't believe in Hell - there are many of us out there. So, no, the Christian God I believe in isn't narcissistic or self centered or mean. The God I love and worship is love, mercy, grace, compassion, and kindness. He is a God Who loves all of His creation, regardless of their religious affiliation or personal convictions. And I know I'm not the only one.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2010