can they catch fire?

today I bought a couple of Air Wick plug in air freshners ..... my mom told me before that she has heard of alot of houses catching on fire because of those being left plugged in ( but not recalled) lol... I mean I can understand because its called a warmer... and it is warm..........but can I just leave them plugged in ntil they are all out of the freshner and not worry about it ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I've never had one catch fire...

maybe if someone didn't follow instructions and didn't insert the scent thing right... maybe it could leak into the outlet and catch fire that way... but you know what, if that person can't read the instructions, they deserve the fire IMO.
    Anonymous

• like if the ones with the fans can get clogged with dust and fan stops then they can overheat I would think. Also I have had just the regulars without fans (if you leave them plugged in constantly with out a break for like a week get hot to the touch). I guess I wouldn't trust them. Not worth the risk . They dont put out a very strong sent if noticeable anyways. I have switched to reeds and diffusers ....Love them!!! (and no risk)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 10:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• what are reeds and diffusers lol
    Anonymous

• I use the febreze plug ins and have never had a problem but like a PP said I also unplug them once a week to give them a break, I love the smell, i have just one in my basement and the scent covers the 1100 sq ft really well, some brands dont work as well. I also have the reeds and like them but they dont seem to put out as much of a scent as i was hoping for.

I have heard that the plug ins catch fire but it was from different people who heard it from someone who heard it from someone and so on and so on.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• what are reeds and diffusers lol

It is a jar of oil with wood sticks in it and the sticks absorb the oil and scent the air.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• So I kept thinking about this post and decided to check it out looky what i found. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/glade.asp

Of course after reading the whole thing I am seriously rethinking the idea of checking out the wallflowers I have been hearing about.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Haha, I'm sorry, I think that is funny! I had one of those and left it plugged in 24/7 and even when it ran out of oil, it got left plugged in for almost a year!! I'm not joking, I had it behind the recliner and I forgot it was there until I moved, lmao, and we lived in an old house with bad wiring, so I have to say that that's ridiculous! My house never caught on fire.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2010