White Teeth??

I want to Whiten my teeth, But dont have the money for WAY expensive stuff that might not work. Anybody have home remedies or know of something that DOES work and work well? and not just bleaching the outside but all the way through the tooth?? anyone?

LA09TKP

Asked by LA09TKP at 10:28 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I have heard if you suck on lemons the acid helps. Also rub strawberries on your teeth. Seriously lol.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• really? lol, man if only i could stand strawberries. that sucks lol.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 10:36 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• I have been a dental hygienist for 22 years. If you suck lemons or rub stawberries into your teeth you might get whiter teeth but that's because the acid will erode your teeth and you'll need crowns.
    Over the counter whitening is not as strong as a professional product - which means they will work but it will take longer to whiten.
    The tooth structure is composed of enamel on the outside and dentin on the inside - the roots of the tooth are composed of dentin. There is nothing that will whiten through the tooth - this includes lasers.
    BTW - whitening was discovered by accident in 1984 when a periodontist tried a paste of peroxide to treat gum disease - it didn't work but the side effect was whiter teeth.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I agree with PrttyMstng -- the lemons & strawberries have acid that could do some damage. Crestwhite strips aren't that expensive & work pretty well. I use the actual bleach from the dentist & love it -- so when you can try to invest in that!
    lhunt8

Answer by lhunt8 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• how much is the actual bleach from the dentist
    sweet_krysti

Answer by sweet_krysti at 10:58 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Professional bleaching cost can vary depending on what products and procedures are done. You could have customed made trays that you take home or have laser bleaching done in the office. Average is $200 - $800 for professional bleaching.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 2:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• baking soda and peroxide work just fine.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2010