If you tested positive for strep b once, did you test positive again in another pregnancy?

I tested positive with my son and had an hour labor without receiving antibiotics. I was wondering the lilihood of testing positive again and if its worth considering induction orc-section since i didnt have time for the medication with my son and labor was so short.

MomofDom21

Asked by MomofDom21 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 1st yes 2nd no so it happens.
    Tams_jade

Answer by Tams_jade at 10:49 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• with my 1st I tested + but 2nd was -, my Dr. still put me on antibiotics as precaution...then I had 2 more with - test results and no meds.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:51 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• my 1st and 2nd i tested pos i get the test for my 3rd in a couple of weeks
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I was positive with my first, negative with my second. However, I don't think you should look into inducing or a c-section. That seems pretty severe, especially since you could look into treating it with antibiotics prior to your delivery. I'm thinking I heard that was possible. Just ask your doctor. I'm sure there are other options!! Good luck, mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• No, I was positive with my first pregnancy but not my second.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i was positive with both of my children and as soon i got to the hospital with both of them they gave me an iv with meds in it.
    KandJmommy124

Answer by KandJmommy124 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I was negative with my first, positive with my second and will be tested with my third in about 10 days. They gave me an iv with penicillian in it and i ended up having a c section with my second anyways because she was breech and refused to turn during labor. (She's still a stubborn little girl too! hehe)
    mamashuUSMC

Answer by mamashuUSMC at 10:20 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• ! had 6 babies and only tested possitive on the last one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i would not consider induction or c-section for this. the risks involved with induction and especially c-section are far greater than the risk that your child would get seriously ill from GBS. personally, i think GBS can be very serious but it's highly unlikely. again, induction & c-section both make the chances that something bad will happen to you or your baby higher than not getting antibiotics during labor if you are GBS positive. some opt not to get the antibiotics also, because while the antibiotics do decrease the chances that baby will get sick from GBS, they INCREASE the chances that baby will get sick from some other infection in the next few months. it's a very hard decision.

i was positive w/ my first, and i did get IV antibiotics. i am pregnant again but in the 2nd trimester. i plan to decrease any GBS in my system by usuing garlic, probiotics, vit C. you can google it. or check out the natural pg group.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• also the fact that your baby did not get sick from GBS is a good sign. one of the risk factors that make it more likely that a child would get sick from GBS would be if your previous child did get sick from it.

(i'm assuming your child didn't get a GBS infection since you didn't say anything about it)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Feb. 19, 2010