Should I vaccinate my daughter? She is 6 months old.

Hi My daughter is going to her scheduled 6 month appt next week and at the last appt my doc gave me some advice about vaccinations and if she had to choose she would have us give the HIB shot and the polio, but especially the HIB. My doc was very nice, and gave reasonable explanation, but I still have this horrible feeling when I think about my daughter getting this vaccination. My husband told me to do what I felt comfortable with, he would support me either way. I have researched and I feel like if I give my daughter vaccinations and she gets autism I will feel horrible. (Like I could have prevented it) I just have this horrible feeling. I travel every other month back home because my husband is in the military, so I fly to visit our families, and I am worried I am making the wrong choice whether I give her vaccinations or not. Please give opinions, but please do not be disrepectful. Thank you.

Sillybillymel

Asked by Sillybillymel at 11:42 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you don't want to Vac don't. . . they can cause just as much trouble as they can help. . . I decided to vac. my DD because we were military and moved a lot. . . and certain places it is required to enter the country. . . but if it wasn't for that I would not have. . . Just because there is a possibility that you can get a disease by not vac. doesn't mean it is the best thing for you and yours. And it certainly doesn't mean you baby will die. Trust your gut!!! if you think you should do, but don't do it cause some nuts-s says your baby will die is you don't!!! GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• by all means, don't vaccinate. and when she catches the deadly diseases and dies, will you be happy that at least she isn't autistic? I have an autistic child and I find it extremely offensive that parents would rather risk their child's DEATH than to protect them.

Especially with you traveling so much, I highly recommend protecting her. On planes, you do not have any idea where all these strangers have been and what diseases they may be carrying and exposing her to.
    Anonymous

• Being a mom is hard with all these difficult decisions we are faced with!
    . Vaccinate your baby, she will be fine! I know you are stressed and worried but look deep inside you, you know what the right thing to do is ;)
    Anonymous

• What "Deadly" diseases would you be referring to Anon? Most of the diseases we vaccinate for in the country are curable. Many of them not deadly at all, but common childhood illnesses. Some of the diseases have even run their course and are eradicated, not because of vaccination but simply because they ran their course and are gone.

I would have a lot more respect for your input if you didn't try to use scare tactics.
    Anonymous

• I am anti-vax.
    I think at the very least you should pass on getting vax's for her next week while you are researching it. You can always go back and get them after you've had ample time to consider what you realy think is best. Don't feel pressured to get them on the dr's schedule.
    ThePinkRobot

Answer by ThePinkRobot at 12:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I am a vaccine reaction survivor. After I was released for the hospital, my mom stopped vaxing me. I did get a meningitis shot before going off to a dormitory at 16.

I've traveled extensively in the developing world where water sanitation isn't available widely. I was fine. I'm healthy and fertile and never got pertussis (never vaxed for it).

Seriously reduced and delayed vaccination was the best choice for me. You can always delay the vaccine. You can always ask for a preservative free formula.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Trust your Mommy instincts. I personally don't vax, and I made the choice when, like you, I got the "horrible feeling". Then I did lots of research and there is no way I would vax now! There is actually a naturopathic cure for pretty much everything anyway, but thats a whole different discussion :). My oldest DD is now almost 4 and has only had one really bad cold, and only had the sniffles a few times. She has been exposed to lots of things they vaccinate for, but hasn't had it yet (which I was honestly surprised when she didn't get the chicken pox). I could go on and on, but I will stop here. No matter what you decide, remember it is YOUR family and YOUR choice. Don't listen to those who bash you for whatever works for YOUR family!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 12:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Asking the question here is only going to confuse you more because most moms are either strongly for or strongly against vaccinations, and like to get at each other's throats about it. Even if you make a decision based on the answers you get, it won't be one you can feel comfortable with. Ultimately, you will have to make a decision based on the information you find, and you will have to take responsibility for it. When your family gives you a bad time, you're not going to say, "But the ladies on cafemom said...."

I don't vaccinate. If my family gives me grief, I'll tell them I'll be more than happy to read what they've read on it, if they're willing to read what I've read, because it's too frustrating arguing with people who's only reason is, "My doctor says." You can get lots of info from the group "choosing not to vaccinate". Compile your research for whatever you choose in case someone challenges you. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:12 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Go with your gut instinct do not go by opinions on here. There are 2 sides of this and varying opinions. I personally delay so its like a middle ground i get scared not to vaccinate at all but am terrified by the regular scheduling so many shots at one time and starting at 2 months makes my stomach turn and I have seen nothing but bad come out of it. My friends babies screamed for over a week with their 2 and 4 month series. This is known as cry encephalitis from then on she delayed and her babies no longer suffered but damage done.

Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My DH is in the army, and I try to volunteer when I can, but when people ask well why dont you do this fundraiser or this bake sale, I tell them I dont vaccinate, and I dont want her in daycare, and besides she cant go to daycare if she doesnt have her shots, and they look at me like I am crazy. One lady told me wait til you have your second child, you wont care anymore. I couldnt believe she said that. I wasnt really offended, I just was surprised she said it. I think its I am afraid to go against my instinct and get her shots, and worried because really at the end of the day there is no right answer. You have to choose for yourself and your family, and I think I just want to know what other people have done with this. Thank you everyone who is answering.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 12:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2010