Here is one for you moms who ERF

I turned my DD's care seat around the day she turned 1 ( she had hit the weight and height at 6 months) Now after being on cafe mom for a bit and doing some research myself I want to turn her around (to face the back again) and my SO said he would be ok with it as long as it was the safest thing for her. So the Questions here are What kind of car seat do you use to ERF? Also Will I have problems with her being upset... seeing that she has been forward facing for around 11 months now?

RachMeg08

Asked by RachMeg08 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I haven't done it, but something cool I learned about my Kia Sadona mini van is that it doesn't matter what car seat I have, I can just completely reverse the center captains chairs! I can ride rear facing back there if I wanted to! I don't know if a new car is in your budget though LOL just an interesting piece of info. I don't know if other mini vans with captains chairs do the same thing.
    Anonymous

• What is her weight an height? What kind of carseat do you have? You will want a convertible carseat. A couple to look at are the True Fit and My Ride.
    ThePinkRobot

Answer by ThePinkRobot at 11:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2010

• Last time at the doctors she was 23 pounds and I believe 32in, but when I put her on our scale a few days ago she was 26 pounds ( I know thats not 100% correct)
    RachMeg08

Answer by RachMeg08 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• You have to think about it though, once they are tall enough their legs will be scrunched up if you continue to rear face. Yes a broken leg is better than a broken neck but I still think it's be a bit more risky if they don't fit properly...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• we have a britax boulevard and a myride 65 that rearface. both are great seats, one just has a bigger price tag and more bells and whistles. the only real advantage with the britax was that it has a rearfacing tether. my daughter rear faced quite comfortably until she was 40 inches tall and 30 pounds. my son is 19 months and has plenty of room to rearface in both seats. he is 27 pounds and 35 inches tall. i don't know if she will be upset by being turned back around.my girl was actually quite upset when she had to forward face at 3 1/2, and still asks to be backwards like her brother.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I think the best bet for her would be the Graco MyRide.... the seat rear faces to 40 lbs and forward faces to 65 lbs.
    I think their is the potential she might be fussy with rear facing again after forward facing for so long... but give it at least a week or two and let her get used to it. Many children find it MORE comforatble than forward facing... the recline of the seat is so much more comfortable, especially if she tends to fall asleep in the car.
    With her size she has PLENTY of room still to rear face... I wouldn't worry at all about her legs for several reasons... with the larger convertibles they are made for bigger kids, allowing for more leg room. Also, she can cross her legs, bend them or put them up on the back of the seat... all are comfortable for children and none are dangerous.
    My son is 19 months and is still rear facing... he's 35 inches and 27 lbs... he rides in an Evenflo Triumph and a Radian XTSL.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• "You have to think about it though, once they are tall enough their legs will be scrunched up if you continue to rear face. Yes a broken leg is better than a broken neck but I still think it's be a bit more risky if they don't fit properly... "

Please don't comment about what you think. What you think is irrelevant. Even a child with long legs properly fits in a seat that accommodates their height and weight. You think car seat manufacturers test with crash dummies without legs?

At this age, I would get a Graco My Ride because you're going to get the most use out of it. Most kids think it's cool to rear face, so she probably will, too. PLEASE do not just turn your captain's chairs around. Every car seat has warnings about NOT doing this. They aren't designed to work properly that way.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I SWITCHED MY DD AT 12 MTS AND I TURN HER BACK AT 28 MTS. NO PROBLEMS!!! i have a cosco scenera. but i plan to get the myride65 soon
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• ERF?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Sedona is the make of the van.

Anon @ 11 55, ERF stands for Extended Rear Facing. Meaning you keep your kids rearfacing until they are 16.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2010