What would you do if your husband/SO forgot about the date night he was supposed to have with you?

All week we planned to spend some time together tonight (I even asked him this morning about it) but when he got home he said he wanted to go to bed. When I got upset he didn't know why which tells me he forgot. I didn't tell him why either, so he got frustrated and went to bed. I was really looking forward to it. What would you do? Would you remind him or wait until he remembers and feels bad about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• I usually get pissy and throw a tantrum about how he does this every time, and he never thinks about me or cares about the way I feel or cares about anything that I care about...and then he usually apologizes and tries to make it up by at least giving me a backrub or something :)
    We go thru this a lot :)
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• LOL I give my husband hell about the last time he did that to me! He promised to take me to see Saw IV and then went to bed. Every time the movie Saw has been brought up in conversation since I make sure to make a comment about how much I wish I had gotten to see it like I was supposed to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'd keep reminding him throughout the day....and if he still forgot, I would tell him about it when he was in front of me.....I'd make him wake his booty up and take me out! lol
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• well my Dh wouldnt forget, our date nights are so few and far between that when we plan them he is so happy he knows when and where and wants to make sure i am happy with the plans asks what else i want to do lol, sort of like a giant teenage boy going on his first date. It is just too cute.

If I were you and he didnt know why i was upset i would have reminded him that it was our date night. I wouldnt have left him hanging with no explanation, at least that way he knows why your upset and you get either an apology and a reschedule or he decides to go out anyhow. Instead now you have a frustrated DH who doesnt know what he did wrong and your sitting there brewing about it, he cant fix it if he doesnt know and waiting for him to remember just so he feels bad to me seems sort of immature. Your married talk to him, open the lines of communication that is one of the things that keeps a marraige strong and healthy.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:42 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Did he have a particularly long or stressful day at work? I have to say I have backed out of plans with my husband after being run off my feet or having a really stressful day at work. Sometimes ya just gotta say "oh well next time". I'm sure he didn't do it to intentionally hurt your feelings or disappoint you. You getting mad and not telling him why, although I understand where YOU were coming from trying to prove a point, wasn't all that helpful to either of you at that point. Forgive and forget...or hold a grudge and be bitter until the next time he does something worse?

We are all human. We all make mistakes. Men more often than us!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 7:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• For me how I act would depend on why he forgot. If he had something come up at work, or a stressful day and that made him forget, I would be disappointed, but understand. I would then tell him it was ok he forgot, we can reschedule. If you reminded him that day, and nothing out of the ordinary happened and he forgot then yes I would be pissed. It would make me feel like he did not think our plans and time together were that important to him. I would let him know I was pissed and pointedly tell him " WE made plans for tonight, I have reminded you many times-- and you blew it off-- so yeah, I am a bit pissed at you right now!"
    Hopefully he will realize he has hurt you, and hopefully he will make it up to you.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• You're playing games like a child. I would have reminded him that we had plans to hang out. Why upset yourself by "waiting for him remember" and causing a scene about it. Communication is everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I agree with anon 10:11 you have a right to be upset about it but I think you should have just reminded him when he said he was going to bed.
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 11:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2010