Why do some moms think that formula feeding moms don't have a strong bond with their babies?

Breastfeeding is only ONE way to bond with a child!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• because they are judgemental and uneducated ?? JMO
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• because they think they are better for what ever reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I both breastfed and bottle fed and I bonded with my daughter just fine while doing BOTH. Babies don't know the difference between breast and bottle. All they know is that they are being held and fed. The closeness is there no matter what. The only way I feel a baby isn't bonding through bottle feeding is if the mother propped the bottle...............which obviously is not a smart idea and have never done.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Ignorance!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Because the La Leche Legue lies to 1st time moms telling hem so!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• To be honest. I breastfed both of my kids. My oldest and I never bonded the way we should have. So, there goes that idea... Breastfeeding doesn't guarantee bonding any more than formula feeding. To be honest, I think had we formula fed, I would have been able to bond better. Because of the way he nursed - every 45mins for at least an hour, I was rarely without him latched on and I had horrid PPD... Had I formula fed, I could have had at least a minor break from time to time and could have taken the meds that would have helped me... We would have had a chance to bond, instead, I just saw him as a chore... I wish I had been smart enough to formula feed...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I think if someone wants to breast feed they should be given all the support and information in the world to make it work and that is La Leche Leagues job. I also think if someone wants to formula feed they should receive the same amount of information and support... but no-one has started that group yet LOL. Breastfeeding does provide extra natural immunity and is the perfect meal for a baby, it is medically proven, but a sad mother who is exhausted from Bfeeding and feeling guilt is not the intention of all the recommendations, Formula is pretty darn close, just without the natural antibodies. If you can and wish to feed, then go for it. If you don't want to or feel unable to, no-one has any right to judge you. Have Bf one and hated it, weaned at 6 wks, then b-f 3 more til around 7 months, love them all, bonded the same, made no difference at all
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i bottle fed my daughter and breastfed my son and we are all very close. my dd and i are as close as close can get. She's 15yo and she still likes to go to the mall with me and go out to dinner with me. My son is very close to me but his bond with daddy is very tight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I am so very close to my babies, even if I couldn't BF. For some reason some of the moms conjur thsi image of us holding a baby in our lap and jamming a bottle in their mouths while we do something else. Up until they started holding a bottle, I would feed my twins like I was nursing them. I would wear my nursing bra and shirts, and hold them against the skin of my breast as I fed them. They still had that important skin contact and bonding.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have never heard anyone say that moms who formula feed don't have a strong bond with their child. Breastfeeding helps to create a stronger bond.

Personally, I feel that the bond between a breastfed baby and mom can be stronger because the mom has to hold the baby close to nurse him. Whereas with a formula fed baby, mom can prop the bottle and go on. Therefore the baby doesn't have to be held.

Now, I am not saying every formula feeding mom props a bottle. I have 2 formula babies and NEVER propped a bottle. But there are alot of moms that think propping a bottle is fine.

Bonding with baby starts in the womb and continues once the baby is born. There are so many ways to bond with a baby.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2010