Why are mothers looked down upon if they try breastfeeding but absolutely hate it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• they aren't its self perception, and self persecution. No one actually gives a crap either way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I don't think they are looked down upon.. but the idea is if you have a baby.. then its not about what you want it is about what is best for the baby.. and that includes breast feeding
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• There's always 2 sides to every coin. Some people are pro-live, others are pro-choice. Some people are Pepsi, others are Coke. You can't make everyone in the world happy. But the good news is - you don't have to! It's all about you and your baby on this one. Yes, it's proven that breast milk is best. However, that doesn't mean you will be burned at the stake for bottle feeding.
    I had to stop breast feeding my last baby because I had a Candida infection, which gave him a yeast rash & thrush.... plus the poor kid was tongue tied so he couldn't get a good hold of the nipple & wow - talk about pain. Those puppies were cracked, chapped, sore, and bleeding. Then come to find out on top of all that - he's lactose sensitive.
    Long story short - the kid is on a bottle & I really don't care what anyone else things. Be strong sister%Pr
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 1:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• so I am not trying to be rude 1Katrina, but why do you feel like you need to explain why you weaned him, and let us know it wasn't your fault.. Thats what OP is saying, we cave to the judgement before it's even given, "I don't breastfeed and here are my 20 reasons why" It's no-ones business and if anyone has anything to say. I'd tell them to mind their own business.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Katrina I didn't word that very well, I don't think anything more or less of your choice, I do wish we as Mothers felt free to make our choices without having to justify every one of them to pro and con groups, mothers, aunties, best friends and the people at the grocery store. We question ourselves enough without others doing it too.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'm sorry if I offended you in my response. I wasn't trying to "justify" my choice so much as show that there are reasons, considerations... different variables as to why people make the choices they do. The choices you make are yours, and the reasons for making them are your own. You shouldn't HAVE to explain yourself if you don't want to.Pr
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 1:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have never been looked down on because I dislike breastfeeding. Maybe that's because I suck it up and do it anyway. But if you are secure in your choices, what do you care, anyway?
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 3:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• 1katrina, not offended, more offended for you, society sets rules and we all follow, even when they don't make sense. 200 yrs ago if we had any money we would have paid a stranger to come and breastfeed our babies for us. Pressure to be a "good" mother has been around since the first baby bellowed and we Mommies have never really caught up.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Honestly, there's lots about being a mom that I hate. I still have to change poopy diapers, get up with vomitting children, and everything because it isn't about what makes me happy or comfortable all the time. I didn't love breastfeeding for the entire two years that I did it, but it was what my daughter needed and it wasn't about me.

I just don't understand why it matters. Nobody can make you feel bad about your choice unless you let them.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 3:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i hated it, hated it hated it. but i kept going cause it was best for my son. at least till a medical issue arose
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2010