How many calories should a person eat a day?

I am trying to lose weight so i'm counting my calories, how many calories should I eat a day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• essentially what you want to do is burn a good amount of calories that you take in. If you try to keep within 2000 calories a day, and have a goal to burn at least 400...you're on a good track. I'm a runner and I also work out daily.....its what I've done and its worked for me....no diets either...just eating healthy, cutting out fried food and fast food and eating whole wheats and grains......I think the normal caloric daily recommended allowance for a healthy diet is 2000 calories.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• try using this calculator http://www.shapefit.com/calorie-intake-calculator.html

It can give you a general idea but you have to take in to account what your body burns on its own perday, how many your body needs to function perday and I easily burn off 300 calories on a readmill for 30 minutes, when i add in a zumba class i burn another 4-600 depending how hard i work during the class.

Also dont just look at calories because it is deceiving, look at sodium, a can of soup that claims to have only 100 calories also has close to 700mg of sodium which will not help you lose weight.

Right now i take in 1500-1700 calories perday some days more and i have steadily lost weight but i also excercise 5 days a week and some weeks i lose inches instead of pounds because i am toning my body and building muscle which helps burn fat.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Sorry meant to add the days i take in more calories are the days i know i am going to have a more intense workout and i bump it up to 2100 calories, I do that by changing my snacks to ones that help fuel my body for the workouts. I know on my more intense days i will walk out of the gym and have burned close to 800 calories.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Thank you ladies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• there are a lot of factors that play into it. i eat about 1350 calories a day, and my burn goal is 310 calories, which i do 5-6 nights a week. i lose 1-2 pounds weekly, which is a healthy amount to lose, i have lost 37 pounds and have 34 to go.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2010