What is your opinion on cleaning products while pregnant?

Im 9 weeks and have thrown out EVERYTHING except laundry bleach and Apple Fabuloso......and replaced it with Green Works or 7th Generation *green and/or non-toxic* cleaners. Glass cleaners, disinfectant, multi-purpose ect* and not just because the smell of bleach makes me want to barf..... What is your opinion? Should pregnant women replace their cleaning products while pregnant to a greener healthier option or just open the windows and doors while using these products? *like what im going to do with my fabuloso* Or just for the first 3-4 months? *like im going to. after 4 months, forget it. im going back the regualr (cheaper) stuff*

shortycmlb

Asked by shortycmlb at 1:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes please do change out...those products cross the blood membrane and do impact
    the fetus, as well it will when the baby is growing and you as a mommy.

I made my own products for several years until I took a hypno birthing class with a doula. Hypnobabies, I learned about Dr Mercola and 3 other moms including my best friend all purchased the same line of cleaning products. Ecosense from Melaleuca. I thought like most people that they were too expensive...and probably did not work. I tried some that you mentioned and was not satisfied at all and stuck to my home version.

I was 8 months pregnant at that time...they gave me some things to try and when I ran out several months later I HAD to become a customer. I was very impressed. That was 2006 and I still purchase from them.

I would say DEFINATELY switch! But for long term. There are wonderful alternatives out there and not all are created equal.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 8:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'm chemically sensitive anyway so my house doesn't have anything BUT natural cleaners. I have Green Works, and some Theives Household Cleaner by Young Living. Pr
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 1:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• white vinegaris thebest $5 for 5gallons any grocery store and also baking powder will clean and disenfect everything i add essential oil as well
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:37 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I worked cleaning hotel rooms when I was pregnant with my first child. I used all kinds of chemical based cleaners, never wore gloves either. He came right on time, no problems, & is now in his 20's & is a very intelligent, healthy person. When I was pregnant with my 5 other kids, I wasnt working but I still used household cleaners. All of them turned out perfectly fine as well. Just be smart & careful while using them & I dont see an issue with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Don't waste your money on expensive cleaning products. Vinegar is cheap and is very effective. I water it down in a spray bottle and add a few drops of essential oil for a nicer smell and clean almost everything with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I forgot to say vinegar is very safe to clean with while pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• there is no reason to every use toxic cleaning products. there is no reason to buy any cleaning products.

This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

For glass, just use vinegar and newspaper

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

•  I cleaned homes for a living while I was pregnant and back then there WAS NO friendly cleaning products. But at the time, I asked my Dr and he said It's NOT a problem. BUT, if I were pregnant today, I would use all the SAFER products.

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 7:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• If either side of the child's family experiences autoimmune problems, learning disabilities, emotional problems, there may be a predisposition for more of the same and/or AUTISM.

Predisposition=ALWAYS, not just when prego, WATCH THE CHEMICALS!!!!!!!!!!

If the above describes you/your family, watch your child's vaccinations, rhogam shot for you while pregnant, Hep B vaccine for baby right after birth, and vaccinations during his/her lifetime.

These type babies/people DO NOT have neurological/immune systems that can handle all this chemical insult without being damaged.
    Lastly, these type people need to avoid milk protein, casein, for 1st couple of decades.
    You MUST work w/ your ped to make sure your kid id properly nourished with a casein free diet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i think everyone should clean with natural products. i think everyone should live as naturally as possible. we clean mostly with vinegar and baking soda!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2010