When I bring my newborn home from the hospital does she have to stay in my room or can she stay in her room?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• She doesn't have to stay in your room if have a baby monitor so that you can hear her. I preferred to keep my babies in a bassinett in my room so that I could hear them.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 1:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• There aren't any rules, you might find all her snuffling and grunting keeps you awake (you won't believe how much noise that little person can make!) I found it easier to have the crib right next to the bed so when the baby woke I just breached in and got them, fed them in bed and put them back. I never changed a wet nappy overnight (poopy is different) I bought the best diapers I could afford for overnight and left them alone! Buy a dim nightlight, it will help you see without turning on all the lights and really waking the baby up.
    Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 1:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I kept my son in a bassinet in our room until he was 2 mths old. So I could hear him and also it just gave me piece of mind. When we did put him in his room i had the moniter with me everywhere. And was always checking on him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I am too attached to my baby's...i kept the bassinet next to my bed until they outgrew it. Then again, my first baby was attached to an oxygen tank and apnea monitor..this might explain my anxiety.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 1:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my dd is almost 15 months old and still sleeps next to my bed in her play-pen (she cant crawl out of that lol) she slept with us in bed until she was 10 month and she would try crawling off it. even after are new baby comes in aug she will still sleep in are room. i cant bring myself to have her sleep the night in another room until shes able to tell me what she thinks and feels.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 1:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Dd and I slept on the couch for two months... I had an emergency c and couldn't walk up the stairs very wel... Then at two mos old she started sleeping thru the night (6 hours) and I put her in her room at that point!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• sometimes its easier to have them in their own room because babies dont always sleep quietly...like someone mentioned they make noises...and that doesnt always mean they need attention at that moment. you cant jump up every time they make a tiny sound or you will get no rest & neither will they.as long as you dont live in some kind of huge mansion, believe me you will hear that baby crying when it needs you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• we kept the baby next to the bed in the beginning just to make breastfeeding and nighttime changing easier. If you are ok with having the baby in another room, just make sure you have a good baby monitor so that you can hear when they cry and need something.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I read an article in the OBGYN's office the other day that said that babies who sleep in the same room as their mothers are less likely to die from SIDS. They didn't know why but they did find it to be true.

Just some food for thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i kept mine in a basket or a bassinet next to me in my room for the first few months
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2010