How do I get baby to sleep through the night?

My 8 month old breastfed baby has been waking up several times a night.. he doesn't really nurse long.. just falls asleep on the breast.. I need sleep! Any advice on how I can get him to stay asleep?

riabella4

Asked by riabella4 at 1:50 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Co-sleeping works perfect. He wakes up, nurses while you sleep. If you want sleep, co-sleeping is probably the only way to get it. A baby will sleep through the night when THEY are ready, not you. My son is 14 months olds and still wakes up a couple of times. After I go to bed, if he wakes up I lay him down with us. He then can nurse and I can go back to sleep.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Maybe the baby is teething. This keeps my baby up at night.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 2:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Your baby is perfectly normal. The first time my breastfed baby slept six hours was at eight months; she was around 14 months when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis. Babies aren't supposed to sleep for very long stretches.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• CIO. thats what i did and it works wonders! I let my son cry for 30 minutes at a time, and he was sleeping on his own and through the night within a week. Keep in mind after 30 minutes i would go and comfort him and then put him back down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• That is why I keep my almost 8 month old in bed with me (just like I did with her older brothers). I can just roll over, lift my shirt and we are both right back to sleep. My oldest was about a year when he started sleeping through, the night, my 2nd started sleeping through at 6 months, no word yet on the latest!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. But klnow that YOU cannot make him sleep. He'll do that when he'[s good and ready to. Babies who start sleeping longer have hit the readiness threshhold.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2010