4 year old chewing on everything

My daughter lately has been chewing on everything. She chews on her clothes, hair, books, leapster games no longer have labeles because she chewed them off...anything she touches it seems to go in her mouth. How can I get her to stop and why is she doing this?

alaskansglmom

Asked by alaskansglmom at 1:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 year old does the exact samething. His school therapist made this necklace type thing; They put a string in a straw and let him wear it like a necklace. They said he chews on that instead of his clothes, books, toys, etc. I haven't tried it at home yet but I've thought about it.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 2:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son does this, too. But he is 2 years old and autistic. Have you discussed this behavior with your daughers pediatrician?
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 2:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• it's molars, they get 2 yr 4 yr and 6 yr molars and if i'm not mistaken the final set of back teeth are at 12
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• 2 ,4 , 6 and 12...OMG! You mean to tell me that this is only the begining for my kid who is two and teathing his molars. DAM! I thought he was on the last set.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 3:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• her mouth is one of her most reliable and strongest sensory areas at her age. my son did this too.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2010