Is your child too tall for their age?

My daughter was born premature weighing in at 1 pound..she was super tiny. Anyway, she remained small until age one..at age two she began growing rapidly..at age three she looked like a five year old and today at age 4 (bithday 11/19) she is four feet tall..no joke. Maybe she will become a professional athlete..

alejandra559

Asked by alejandra559 at 2:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Parenting

• wow .my now 5 year old preemie is 44/45 inches tall, so not quite 4 feet.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My 2nd son was 6 lb 6 oz & 19 in long. He is 15 now & is 6 ft 4 in. One of my daughters weighed the same as he did, but was 20 in long. She is now 4 & is nearly 4 ft tall. It would seem I just have tall children BUT, I have another daughter who at nearly 18 is only 5 ft 7 (like me). And my oldest son who is 19, he was 7 lb & 21 in. long at birth but he is only 5 ft. 8 in. So I guess it just depends on what genes they get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My 3 year old (boy) is the same way. He wears a 5T already.
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 2:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• All of my kids are tall, all my nieces and nephews (except one) are tall. My niece was mistaken for a 5 y/o when she was 2. It is very common for us to deal with this issue. The men on my side have been known to grow up to be 7 feet tall (my cousin is now 6'6), my DH's side of the family from what i know the tallest is 6'5 DH is 6'4 (he was a preemie) His little brother is 6'5, his baby sister is 6'2 and his other sister lol is only 5'5.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I forgot to mention that i have a son, too. He was born one month premee and weighed in about 7 pounds. He is 2 years old (birthdate 11/19, too) and he is 36 inches tall.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 2:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my daughter was a preemie 3lbs 15oz and now she is 4yrs old and ppl ask if she is 5 or 6 b/c she is so tall but she is slender.
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 2:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son was in the 90th percentile growing up, and my youngest was always off the charts on the big side. Enjoy the tallness, i think it is definitely a benefit, although I wouldn't start looking looking for NBA contracts as of yet.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son is 13 and he is 6'3, he is one of the tallest 8th graders in the school, people always think he's 16-17 which bothers him alot, growing up he was always the tallest kids in his class I think as they get older it really starts getting to them when people comment on how big they are, I remember getting mad at restaurants when they charged me the regular adult price for his meal when he was only 10 drove me nuts!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 8:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My 3 week old baby is 23.5 inches. (measuring him myself) He was 22 inches when he was born. I think that puts him off the chart. I don't think he's likely to stay so tall though because my other two kids started out tall and then slowly dropped down the chart, my 1st son ended up at the 50th percentile by about age 2 and has stayed there (he is now 4) and my daughter dropped down to about the 30th percentile by the end of her first year and has fluctuated from about the 30th to the 50th. (She is 2). I don't know where this length comes from except that I was a really long baby too. Now I'm 5'4" and my husband is 5'8"
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son is 8yrs old. 5 feet tall and weighs 90Lbs. He is not overweight, just very tall for his age. He is a full head and shoulders taller than everyone in his class ( 2nd grade) and I can not carry him...when he falls asleep on the sofa, he stays on the sofa. FYI; I am 5'3. His Father was 6'6.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 1:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2010