What are your thoughts on private school? How much do you/would you pay in tuition?

My husband and I are thinking about sending our children to private school when they are old enough. They are only 3 and 7 months right now so it will be a while but I want to research each school as throughly as possible.

I found one school in our town that my husband and I really like. It has a Christian based curriculum, has great reviews, is university style which is different but awesome and tuition is only around 4,000 a year for the first year and only 3,500 a year after that. Compaired to the others I've looked at that's a really great price.

What are your thoughts on private school?
How much do you/would you pay for private school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I forgot to add that we just want the absolutely BEST education for our children so that's why I'm looking into it already. I want them to have the BEST opportunities in life and we believe the best education out there is the key to that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I went to Catholic school from K to 8th grade. My family couldn't afford the high school so after that I went to public school. I was already 2 yrs ahead of everything. They had no class to put me in because i was in a jr high that was 7 to 9th grade. The only thing they could have done was move me up to the high school building & they refused so I had to take all this stuff in 9th grade I had already done in 7th grade.
    If I could afford to send my children to Catholic school, I most certainly would do that but its out of our budget to send 5 children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Look for a publicly funded charter school. They generally have higher academic standards and are free. We can not afford a private school but our oldest, the only one old enough for school, attends a charter school. We looked for one with high academic standards and LOVE it. Our child is very smart and the "best" public school in our town left him bored to tears. We are so happy we moved him to the charter.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Here is a good resouce: www.greatschools.org

My daughter is in one of the very best schools in the country; it is a Chicago Public School (the same one Michele Obama attended)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• That's a good price. My stepchildren go to a private school that costs $10,000 for each of the two older children and $5,000 for 3 days of preschool for the littlest one.
    We do not agree with it or pay for it. Frankly, I think they'd get a better education in a public school from what I've seen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My boys are in a Catholic school. I don't like the public schools here in NY. The grammer schools are good, but once you hit middle school and high school, they are HORRIBLE! Thankfully we can afford the tuition and send them somewhere safe as well as a good education.
    mom_of_2_in_ny

Answer by mom_of_2_in_ny at 8:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• All of our 3 Children attended public school in the beginning. We ended up homeschooling the yourger two (18 and 15) do to the fact that our P.School in the Town we live in got ----SERIOUS ----- issues with there staff. We buy our Idems from a private christian school and our yearly cost is around $1500.00.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Those are really good prices if you can afford them. I don't think there's anything wrong with private school if you can afford it and it offers what you want. It's a plus if the public schools suck in your area.
    My kids go to a Catholic school (not really by choice since we're not Catholic, not even Christian...it's a long story). We can't actually afford it so my dad's been paying the tuition (it was his idea to send them there). It's about $3500 a kid per year with a slight deduction with each additional kid. We have 3 kids in the school and it averages $700/month (for 12 months, you pay in the summer, too, for the upcoming school year). The kind of education they get depends on the school. Ours doesn't push the kids academically like the public schools do (that depend on NCLB money), it's a much more laid back enviornment.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son attends a private school. He's three. And yes it's a SCHOOL, not a daycare. The price is GREAT.. and it includes breakfast lunch, and snacks. He loves it there. :-)

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Our dd will start pre-K in the fall. She will be attending private school at our Church. I do not trust our public schools around here...I'm not sending my kids to a school that has drug dogs patrolling, cops in the school, metal detectors,etc...and a ton of gangs. I've been a member of this Church for 18 years, Dh for 34 years and we know many of the teachers and Church staff. It is one of the top schools in the area.
    We are sending dd for half days 5 days a week and it will be $4K for pre-K and K.. once she is in 1st grade it will jump to about $7500 plus uniforms and that is if the tuition doesn't increase in the next 2 years.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2010