What age did you first introduce a sippy cup??

My son is only 4months old, but something he did today made me wonder if he might be ready for a sippy cup introduction. I mixed 2 1/2 ounces of formula with two spoons of stage one applesauce & 2 spoons of stage one bananas (he's had both with no reactions in the past two weeks). Anyways, as I was feeding him this mostly-liquid dinner he reached out for the miniture cup I had mixed it in & tried to bring the cup to his mouth. Willingly, I let him put his lips on the cup & to my surprise he grabbed both sides & tried to drink from the cup as if it was something he's been doing his whole life! He was able to drink the rest of his dinner that way (by then there was about 2oz in there)! He has held his bottle on & off for the last 2 weeks, so I'm wondering...does this mean he may be ready for a sippy cup?? When did you first introduce one??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had my DD on a cup at about 4-5 months old with 1/2 juice & 1/2 water she never had juice in a bottle. She was holding her bottle around that time and once she was holding her bottle up herself i introduce the cup. I think your LO sound like he is pretty close to being there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• about a year and a quarter.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• We introduced a sippy cup with water at around 8 or 9 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Babies can certainly drink from a cup. The only thing you shouldn't do is to let the baby drink solids from a cup so young. Solids spoon only. Your baby is young and isn't able to sit up unassisted well (if at all) and hasn't quite lost the tongue thrust reflex. It's a choking hazard. So liquids only.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Okay smarty pants. One, he sits just fine with barely any support & stopped doing the tongue thrust reflex thing before 3months. Two, it was 2 1/2 ounces of formula with a couple spoons of liquidy food, it was still liquid at that point...as in it wasn't really solid just flavored milk LOL. Originally he was eating it from a spoon, too, but he seemed to want it as a drink. Three, you can choke on anything...even drinking liquids from a cup. You can also drown in an inch deep puddle. I hate how everything is such a no-no these days...haven't you ever sipped your soup from the bowl? Is that anymore dangerous than from the spoon?? LOL people these days...wow. Anyways, I asked about when YOU PERSONALLY started introducing sippy cups, not what I should & should not feed MY CHILD. Maybe I should bash you & your horrible ability to read & understand a question! LOL.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Maybe you ought to calm down. It is a very common piece of advice. If I waned to call you a bad mother or insult you I would do so directly.

Adding solids to a liquid makes it more viscous and it can stick much differently, and many people tend to not realize that. If you've ever choked on soup vs. water you'd realize that there is a distinct difference. I was warning of that. How was I supposed to guess that you wouldn't try a thicker concoction tomorrow?.

Do what you want.

And I am smart. Thanks for the compliment.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:01 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• By the way, sorry I didn't preface my first post with disclaimers of "I personally" and "I wouldn't recommend" and "in my opinion" and "If it were me" and "In case you ever decide.." and "in my experience".... You know there is a word limit and I was typing one fingered and I didn't think you'd take it as a personal attack. I assumed you'd take the information as it was intended.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I gave my daughter a sippy cup at 4 months. She was already sitting and holding her bottle, so I went for it. She took it very well. We started with the sippy cup lid that had a similar feel to a bottle nipple. It came in a "starter package" for sippy cups at Wal-Mart. There were three lids: a regular bottle nipple that was slightly larger than a "normal" one, another bottle-like nipple but it was somewhat flattened like a sippy cup, and then a sippy cup nipple that had the same texture as the other two. By 5 months she was a "pro" with the sippy cup and preferred it over her bottle, except for when she was teething and needed extra comfort.

Also, I've been putting a spoonful or two of 1st food "goodies" in her sippy cups since the very beginning. You are right, it is still liquid. It's not like putting cereal or a whole jar in there! It's fine, even her pedi said so. As long as you aren't going overboard with calories.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'm sorry. I'm just so tired of getting off-topic advice from people left & right about how to parent my child, especially when it is unwanted advice about how I'm "doing it wrong" without any notice to what I'm really trying to get information on in the first place. There is so much of that here that I have started becoming more & more defensive over everything. I really would have liked to recieve an answer to the actual question though. If you, or anyone for that matter, must stick in their two sense about what everyone else should or shouldn't do, you should as a common curtesy at least answer the question asked as well. I understand that you were providing a warning, but like most people, I've heard that warning before, have done my own research, & have made my own choice based on what I believe is right for my own child. This is the way people should go about parenting in general though. I'm sorry again for being rude.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• It's alright. For what its worth, I get snippy over being attacked :) I've got two cents and can't spend it on anything else in this economy. And there is no way to know what you've reserached and been told already! I prefer to tell someone about something in case they didn't know. If they already knew great, if they didn't then now they do.

FYI, even newborns can drink from a cup if it is small enough that they can lap it up like a cat. If you ever get a chance to see a video of it, its eye opening. I've fed my newborn baby BM with a spoon, eyedropper, and cup in the early newborn days as I was dealing with latch issues and working. A sippy isn't really necessary, they can learn from regular cup if you don't mind the mess at first.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:30 AM on Feb. 19, 2010