Is Eukanuba a good choice for dogs?

Trying to find a new food for our 5 dogs as we are not happy with what we have been feeding them (at the suggestion of a pet store about 2 years ago). I am looking at Eukanuba Adult Maintenance and wanted input from those who feed it (or any Eukanuba product) to their dogs or who may have reasons as to why to not feed it to my dogs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Pets

• For the price you pay for Eukanuba, you can do sooooo much better! Looking at Petsmart.com, a 20lb bag of Eukanuba Adult Maintenance costs $29.99 and a 40lb bag costs $44.99. It has by-products, corn, fish meal (what kind of fish? if it isn't specified it is most likely preserved w/ethoxyquin...look it up; it's BAD), brewers rice (is a filler), and salt (unnecessary; is added for flavor), also, once you add up all of the GRAINS they will outweigh the MEAT (dogs are MEAT eaters). Now, compare it to Blue Buffalo. A 30# bag of BB Chicken/Brown Rice costs $46.99. Yes, it costs a little bit more but does NOT contain all of the by-products/fillers that the Euk does. Plus, it has chicken meat AND chicken meal as the first 2 ingredients and healthier grains. Plus, it has some fruits/veggies/probiotics. Yes, it has salt in it, too, but is listed farther down on the list so there's not much there.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• We feed our pets (cats and dogs) Eukanuba. The best way to find a good dog food though is to look at the list of ingredients. The first ingredients we choose are either chicken or lamb. We also look food dog foods with the least amount of by-products in it.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• No, not really, It names Chicken(naming meat first is good) first but then says Chicken by products which is not good. By products are not a good quality. The first grain that is mentioned is corn and dogs do not digest corn well. Corn is also known for causing allergies in some dogs. It looks like they also uses a few fillers that are controversial.  I'd keep looking

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:35 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I use the Naturally Wild Eukanuba and my dogs are thriving on it. NO corn fillers and has real meat. I use to use Natural Balance cause it came highly recommended but neither dog tolerated it. After I did the week to switch over they both had diarrhea and horrible smelling gas.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:54 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I would honestly research about dog foods that are truely healthy for your pet. My dog just died of diabetes and alot of these dog foods are really not that great for your pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• If you are on a budget and can't afford the better foods (no by-products, no corn), the Eukanuba is a better food than Dog Chow, Store Brand, or any of the other cheap foods. With pet food, you really do get what you pay for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I am currently feeding it to my dog as it was given to me -- but I usually buy Nutrish by Rachel Ray and my dog loves it
    sassywitch

Answer by sassywitch at 8:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• The only grain I feed my dogs is rice. No corn and no wheat. If we're traveling and run out of food, I'll buy Eukanuba or Iams because it is easy to find and higher quality than Purina or Pedigree. My dogs get horrid gas very very easily. Corn in the food makes the gas so awful I can't have them in the house.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:08 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Premium dog foods like Eukanuba and Science Diet give my dogs the shits. Iams constipates them. I buy Ol' Roy, Pedigree or Kibbles n Bits from Walmart and they do fine on it. My vet said there's nothing wrong or bad about the cheaper foods. It's all about finding what food agrees with your dog.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I hate to say this because Iams, Eukanuba and even science diet are not great foods but they are so much better then Ol' Roy, Pedigree or Kibbles and bits. Vets only go over a small chapter on Nutrition in school and then are taught by the makers of these dog foods so they are only know what they are told. This being from the companies that want them to sell and recommend their other diets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2010