Health Insurance a Right? Why?

There is nothing in the Constitution that points to health insurance as a right. Legally, why should the federal government be involved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree there is a difference between CARE and COVERAGE. Some will be surprised about what happens to their care when coverage is taken over by the government. My parents live in a rural area with many retirees. The changes in Medicare/Medicaid have forced many providers to leave the area so now they need to drive further for care and/or pay for additional coverage so they can have care close close to home. I wonder how many of us with enjoy that "right" when govt takes over and providers can only afford to practice in a high population area because reimbursement is so low that they have to make it up in volume.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• because affordable health care SHOULD be a right to ALL American citizens. period.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

So you have no legal argument? Just because you think it SHOULD? Where in the Constitution does it say it is a right? Afterall, isn't that the role of the Federal Government? Honor the Constitution?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• affordable health CARE, yes. insurance, no.sure, its a case of the haves/havenots, but that's life. you may pay into an insurance plan fifty years, and never use more than your yearly checkups. if you can afford to pay for fifty years for something you never use, that's a priviledge. why would i claim it as a right, if someone else is paying for me?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:23 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

What does that have to do with insurance?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• It's not OP you are right...and affordable health insurance can be possible without the government taking over health care.Which brings me to something else health care and health insurance are two different things.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• blah blah blah blah

call it health insurance/affordable health care/ the health care bill or call it pink with purple polka dots. its all the same. People have a right to be able to see a Dr, t take thier kids to a Dr, to not die from treatable curable illnesses simply do to lack of health insurance. stop bleating on about the Contsitution. Having adaquate health care/insurance/affordable health care is a HUMAN right, a HUMAN need.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I dont think the gov taking it completely over is the answer. but BIG BUSINESS INSURANCE companies are not the answer either. these are the companies that if someone get say Breast cancer, they go through the persons records find a T that is not crossed and deny them coverage the same day based on that ONE little thing they consider an error or dishonesty in the persons file. BIG BUSINESS INSURANCE that says people like myself dont have a right to be insured PERIOD becaues i have had cancer, back issues, bi-polar, broken fingernail. you name it, they have alll used these as reasons to not cover me PERIOD. and i am just one person, there ar SO many out there like me with my issue. there has to be a compromise somewhere in this
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• 'blah blah blah blah'

'stop bleating on about the constitution'

Between those two lines all I have to say is ..ok..no further discussion needed ..some of us care about the constitution
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• call it health insurance/affordable health care/ the health care bill or call it pink with purple polka dots.

It's not the same sati. Educate yourself and research...   They aren’t remotely the same thing..  You can take your child to the hospital for CARE...Americans have access to health CARE.  EVERYONE... But whether or not you have the INSURANCE to cover the costs is DIFFERENT...  Should access be more affordable? yes.  But there is nothing in the Constitution that states Health INSURANCE is a RIGHT.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2010