my dd is 8months old tomorrow. Is it okay that she takes the pacifier to sleep still??? The dr told me to stop her from using it, but I feel horrible during bed/nap time and feel she is so young. When did you stop your child? Suggestions please. O- and the pacifier she is taking is avent and the early size. I tried putting her on the 6 month plus one and she won't take it. SHe will only take the earlier ones :( I am afraid she wont develop right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the major issue with a paci this long is her teeth coming in wrong i think. i believe also that it promotes tooth decay? its been so long. you really should start weaning her away from it.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Studies indicate that use of the pacifier at night and during naps is fine. As long as she doesn't run around with it all day long and only gets it at sleep times it's fine. It won't cause dental problems until she is older and if she is using it all the time.

From the Mayo Clinic Website:

"Normal pacifier use during the first few years of life doesn't cause long-term dental problems. However, prolonged pacifier use may cause a child's top front teeth to slant outward or not come in properly."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pacifiers/PR00067
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Well what I did with both of my kiddos was substitute! I started out dipping the paci in a glass of juice and let them taste it. Did that for about two days. Then I would cut a slice of an apple, preferably green, and let them suck the juices out of it instead of a pacifier! It worked for me and it didn't give them the runs like I thought! I did this with my first son around six months and it also helped with his teething! He was off the paci about a week and a half later! With my second son I did it around three months old and it took him a week! Try it and see if it works for you! I hope it does!!:)
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my 1st dd weaned herself at 8 months. she got her teeth and didnt want the pacifier. My 2nd dd is about 6 months now and she just got her 1st tooth so we are trying to wean her too. Just dont give it too her. it will be hard for you but its best for your child:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• 1st, you MUST take away the early sized ones. After 6 months old, they are small enough to be a choking hazard. So, either give her an age appropriate paci or take it away. My pediatrician says no pacies past the age of 18 months. Babies lose the NEED to suck for comfort after 6 months. So, you can wean from the paci any time between 6 and 18 months, it's up to you. I took the paci from my 1st at 18 months and my 2nd at 15 months. It only gets harder to wean them from it the longer you wait. If you take it now, you will probably have a rough nap and bedtime for a few days. If you wait until she's over a year old (like I did) you will have a rough week or more. Remember that the paci is a want, not a need. When you take it away she will cry, but if you stick to your guns in a few days she'll forget all about it and never miss it again.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I took my son of the pacie at 18 months - no delays - he is fine :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My oldest didn't "lose" his paci until he was just over 2. His pediatrician never said anything about it and he has no dental problems, etc. My youngest is 15 months and still taking his paci to bed - we make sure he doesn't have it during the day so it's not interfering with his speech, but his pediatrician knows he has it and doesn't say anything about getting rid of it either.
    We use the Soothies newborn pacis - they are all one piece and the same size as the infant ones, he just likes the newborn ones better - they are softer. I'm not sure what the Avent ones are like, I've never used those.
    I don't think a paci at 8 months is any problem at all - many, many kids have them WAY longer than that!

Answer by missanc at 10:36 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my dd didnt ge off the paci till 33 mts. she has no speech problems at all. she talks alot for her age and no teeth problem. but i do suggest you weaned her by 18 mts or 2 yrs.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son used a "binky" until he was 2 1/2. It went on for so long because he was a serious biter and having the binky was the only thing helped everyone around him be safe from his shark teeth,lol. I didn't like it but hey...I had to do what I had to do. Anyway..with that said...he is 9 years old now...he has had some cavities on his back teeth..but thats from improper brushing and too many starbursts,lol. The rest of his teeth are fine and apart from the normal 9 year old gap that kids can get..his teeth are fine. He talked well at an early age, he would pull the binky out of his mouth to yell at people then pop it right back in.I personally think as a mom..you just do what feels right to you. Do your research..like you are...to find out the problems it can cause weigh the pros and cons of it all...good luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I took my sons away at 6 months. The earlier the easier. I started giving him a cuddle object when he went to bed he would be used to snuggling it. Then when i took the pacifier away he didnt care cuz he had his baby
    :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2010