How can I get my Kiddo to leave the park without a run away attempt?

I love to take my daughter to the park but everytime its time to go she takes off running! The last time we went and it was time to go she took off running towards someone's back fence where some dogs were barking at her. She was about to stick her hands in the fence but I caught her! Whats the best way to get her to leave without a run away attempt and/or a tantrum?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I give my kids a time. Like saying "We are going to need to go you have 5 min." OR I say "you can do one more fun thing." If she likes to run tell her that you want to race her to the car. There are times that I have to pick up my 2yo and say it is time to go now and don't give her a chance to say no. Hope one of those works for you.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Hold her hand......
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:29 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I let my kids know we have 10 minutes left. Than again at 5 minutes. So they know it's happening. Then at the time up I take ahold of their hands and we walk back to the car. Or skip or run or big step back. Something silly. If she tries to squirm away I pick her up and say I know we were having fun but it's lunchtime or whatever and we have other things to do. MAybe next time we can stay longer.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I s she better after a nap? Sometimes I will tell them this is what we will be doing, & when it's time to leave the park bring a healthy snack," THAT SHE LIKES", & have her eat it on the way to the car. That one works with my 4 yr old.Or make sure she is paying attention when you speak to her & use simple words & be butterfly on headbrief.

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Give her a 5 minute warning. Then when the 5 minutes is up, tell her it's time to go. If she acts up, spank her behind when you get home and tell her you're not taking her to the park again for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Feb. 19, 2010