help

If I give my EBF 51/2 mo son a bottle (w/breastmillk), he screams bloody murder. I'm starting school and he needs to be able to have bottles every now and then. Share with me some tips you have done to possibly make weaning a little easier.

I have had my father's help and he screams like crazy for him too.

hotmama404

Asked by hotmama404 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• as mean as it sounds, just make sure he is good and hungry, then you have to disappear for a while.... go outside for a walk, go upstairs... he most likely will not take a bottle from you if the "real thing" is available
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i am breast feeding and i had to do the same thing so i could go back to work.. luckly he took to the bottle ok but he will only use 1 type of bottle. (5oz playtex droppins with the tan nipple) he wont eat from any other one... have you tried different bottles?
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• What about putting the milk into a sippy cup instead?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• A lot of babies won't take breastmilk off tap if the main source is there. They are smart like that. If you leave the baby willl likely take the bottle, or the person watching the baby can use a cup or sippy cup if the baby really hates the bottle (some do).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I've tried about 5 different bottles, different nipples, sippy cup, left for a while, formula... I don't know what else to do!
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Try having your dad give him a bottle while you are out of the house. My son would scream, too, but ultimately, if he was hungry enough, he would eat. It takes a lot of persistence, and a lot of patience on the part of the person feeding, but it can work. Breastmilk is best, of course, and if you can make it longer, you won't regret it! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:25 AM on Feb. 20, 2010