How to I stop her from doing this?

My husband got my daughter (3 yrs. old) a puppy. She loves him and it's working out fine, but since we got this puppy she has started getting up in the morning and peeing on my floor! She was completely potty trained, I don't understand why she's doing this. I haven't been punishing her but I do talk to her about it. It hasn't helped and I'm getting frustrated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• So start punishing her for it. If she knows its wrong and will get introuble maybe she wont do it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I wonder if you should put a potty chair in her bedroom for the time being. She may be nervous about going to the bathroom right now for some reason.

Answer by Bmat at 9:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I would punish for it, but I'm afraid it might make it worse. If it's actually an accident that is. The only change in her life has been this dog (who pees on the floor BTW).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• puppyMaybe she has seen the puppy pee on the floor and feels she can do it too you might tell her over and over what the difference is from animals vs. humans. GL She will get it sooner or later.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yeah, I bet she's copying the dog by peeing on the floor. Once the dog is potty trained, I'm sure your daughter will go back to peeing in the potty. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• If you think it's modeling the puppy's behavior, get her involved in house training it.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• That's a good idea. Maybe I can let her be the one to walk him in the mornings. She likes to give him the treat he gets after going potty outside, but she's not actually there for it. Or maybe even have her help clean up after it within reason. Especially if it's her own pee!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• LOL..not a laughing matter but I had to laugh. Sounds like shes mimicking the puppy...shes "role playing" ma,lol. I would just keep talking to her about it...include her on the potty training of the puppy...but I wonder if then she'll try to poop outside,LMBO. :) Sorry..I needed to read something that amused me today. That is just too cute. Well, just keep in mind that shes young and she wont pee on the floor for forever. It will soon pass. Good Luck over there! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yep my youngest DD did that too, along with wanting to eat on the floor, letting her older sister walk her on a leash, bark in response to anything you asked her...all kinds of fun stuff! One time we were walking around the neighborhood when she got the urge to be a dog again so she was crawling around on the floor barking, she even tried to lick something off the sidewalk!! She's calmed down on the bad dog behavior now but she honestly thinks one day she will grow up to be a dog! She also becomes a dog if she's nervous or scared, like at the dentist yesterday, she put her "paws" up like she was begging and started whimpering. I love my girls imaginations!
    Anonymous

• Mine tried to poop outside, I caught her and she was so mad. I was stunned. Then she tried to eating out of the dog dish and barks and walks on all 4s faster than some people on two feet. The potty issues are not amusing. I have had to convince her that being a "people" is so much more fun, puppies aren't allowed to go to the mall or the movies or play with barbies or and the list goes on and on. But when she does doggie stuff I make her stop. Stand up and walk like a girl is my mantra lately.
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 1:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2010