Help with interview question! "What is your weakest personality trait?"

I'm applying for a job and I have NO clue what to write down that would sound good. One of my weaknesses is that at first I can be scared to talk to a group of people. I don't know how to word it in a way where I can still make myself look good. Any hints?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 9:52 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• What you might say is "My weakness is that I tend to take on too much because I am somewhat of an over-achiever and believe that I can do it all!" Something like that, never really tell them what you weakness is!
    Or perhaps " I am a bit of an introvert and it is a challenge that I like to believe that I have overcome"

Good Luck!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• You could write, "find speaking in large groups intimidating at times"
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Ohh and I think you will find MOST people find that a weakness... I worked with the Presiodent of one of the Nation's leading home builders and HE was afraid to speak in large groups..
    Also, you could add to your weakness comment~that what you are doing to make improvements.. ie, using notecards, etc,\...
    :
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• if the job requires speaking in front of large groups then i wouldnt put that
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Note that you belong to the majority group of people that find it intimidating to speak in front of large groups of people. Inform them you are aware of it, can get through it, and explain in detail the ways in which you are correcting the problem. The interviewer is researching your problem resolution skills with this question, not finding out about your weakness.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Well, it kind of does involve that, but it's with little kids so it's not too bad. I'm just trying to write something down.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 10:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Maybe write that your worst flaw is that you have a hard time seeing your own flaws and need someone to point them out to you once in a while. Little kids will make darn sure that happens!!! ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I agree with pp's....you can write down that a personality trait you consider a weakness would be that speaking in front of large groups can become intimidating for you but it is a weakness that you wish to work on and conquer
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I used to conduct HR interviews. In your situation I would recommend saying that your weakness is that you prefer to evaluate a situation before jumping in with both feet, such as in speaking in large groups. You prefer to do your homework and know the subject you will be discussing and you would prefer to be well informed of the group's goal. That would tell ME, the interviewer, that you are a person that is willing to go above and beyond to learn more and that you are going to have serious input.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• You have two options with this (dreadful) question. The first is humor: My biggest weakness is chocolate. The second is to turn the question into a positive: My biggest weakness is my persistence in completing a task before leaving work for the day.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2010