How can I

potty train my 2 1/2 yrs old & be successful. I have been sitting her on the potty every 25 minutes & sometimes it is hard when we are out & about. Out schedule is always on the go since I have 2 other kids in 2 different schools & they have to be dropped off & picked up at different times. I have tried letting her go with nothing on when it is just us but she still potties on the floor, thank goodness we don't have carpet just tile. I know she is ready she tells me all the time when she goes. Is there a better way or should I just wait till the summer since school will be out. She is suppose to start Head Start in August of this year & they require them to be potty trained. I really need help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is there any way you can find someone to help out with the other kids for just a few days? What worked well for us was instead of taking our daughter periodically, having her sit waiting for something to come out (which can feel like time-out and lead to resentment), we put our daughter in undies and a shirt, stayed home for 3-4 days with the potty close by, and I didn't put her on the potty until she started having an accident. At that point, I moved her quickly so that she finished on the potty, rewarding her with a small reward any time even a little made it in. It's the best way to get your child to associate the potty with it's purpose -- and with the "need-to-go" feeling she has right before that when her bladder is full. My daughter showed NO "readiness" signs before we started this at 19 months. We just ditched the diapers and never went back. Were out of the house on day 4 and she was trained in a week.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• She may be able to tell you but mentally she is not ready. Just give it more time and then try again in a a few more months. I talked to my Dr about this when we went in one time when she was sick. She told me how they can tell you and hold it but mentally in there mind they are not ready. So instead of getting frustrated and her getting furstrated just want a few more months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• ***OP*** I am not getting frustrated with her. I am a patient person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I did not say you were frustrated. I was saying what my Dr told me. She was using a term that happens with lots of people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• (cont'd) If you do this, though, you really need to be able to focus on nothing but this for a few days, so it may not be possible for you until schools out. You have to be sure you can put down what you're doing and quickly rush her to the potty as she has an accident, each time. I know it's hard with other kids -- I had a nursing 3 month old when I did this with my first daughter -- I had to put her aside and dash a few times. But it was only a few days. I can't imagine having waited to train her; she did great.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• ***OP*** thank you EmilySusan for your reply. Since I could only pick one answer I did the 1st reply.
    Anonymous