Do you go into the exam room when your child sees the doctor?

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-peds-molester,0,7821930.story

I was reading a story today about a pediatrician that video taped himself sexually assaulting his patients in his office exam rooms. The article says some of the children were as young as 6months. He did this to as many as 100 patients. I am not trying to lay blame on anyone besides the Doctor, but why would a parent allow their child to be examined without them in the room. Especially a male doctor for your female child. Some of these attacks could have been avioded if the parents used some real judgement. You can not trust just ANYONE with your children. True, we Should be able to trust our Doctor, but that does not mean we can. Stupdity is what Pedophiles look for. They will look for the people they can manilupate, the women that will do anything to have a man, the people that see good in everyone and then BAD THINGS HAPPEN!!...... VERY SAD!!

eluc

Asked by eluc at 10:10 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• i have never had my child in to see a dr by himself. never.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:12 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My little girl will never be by herself with her doctor. Not unless she specifically asks me to leave the room (and then she would have to be at least 16).
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 10:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i always go. Who would let their kid go alone?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have never allowed my children to be examined without me in the room. I even go with my 16yo, if he has to get undressed he asks me to leave. The only place I have ever let my children go without me is to their old dentist office. All the exam chairs were in the same room filled with video games, movies, and books. Only children were allowed back there during exams and all the patients could see and talk to each other....... And now we have a new dentist that allows me back.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 10:15 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have never left DS alone with his pediatrician or dentist who are both female. I won't either until he is old enough and I haven't decided yet what age that is yet. I don't even leave the haircut area when he gets that done. He is only just turning 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i do leave my son alone at the childrens dentist but that is their requirement. All the rooms are open though and even windows to look inside every room. I feel very safe letting him go.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• No way in hell would I allow my child to be examed without me. I agree with a PP, it would have to be my daughter asking and only then if she were at least 16 and a female nurse would have to be in the room as well.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have never had my kids see their doctor by themselves either I mean they have a girl doctor now, but they have had guy doctors before they have never asked me to see my kids by themselves if they have their is something wrong there I think cause what doctor asks to see a baby by themselves? You are supose to go back with them cause that is your chance to ask doctors questions you might have
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• How old were these kids?? I mean, I would never let my young child be in the dr without me, not because I am afraid of that kind of thing, but simply because how do you know what is going on with your kids health if you aren't there to talk to the doctor. But I think once your kids are old enough to talk to the doctor themselves, I'll stop going in with them. At that point I would also have to think they are old enough to let me know if the dr is a creep too!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:24 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• SO and I go to all of ds's appts, and we're both in the exam room. Every single time.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 10:25 AM on Feb. 19, 2010