Do your kids share a room? Does it work OK? How old are they? Are they the same or different sex?

We live in a 2 bedroom apt and have 1 toddler. We want another but we won't be moving anytime soon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My girls 6 yrs old and 3 yrs old share the same room. It works just fine. We do have to put them to bed at different times because some nights they like to talk or play some nights. So since my 6 yr has school she goes to bed first. Plus it does not take her long to go to sleep. Then 15 to 20min later we put the 3 yr old to bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My boys are 2 1/2 year apart and shared a room from the time the youngest was 6 months old (and sleeping through the night) until the youngest was 9. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. Their sister had her own room. I also wouldn't have had a problem with a boy/girl sharing a room when they are young, up until around the age of 4 or so.

Answer by missanc at 11:05 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have 3 girls who share a room there is a bunkbed for the 11yr old, & 7 yr old then there is a toddler bed for the 3 yr old..
    I think same gender kids can share a room, but only until about nine & they couldn't get dressed in the same room, but one in the bathroom.. my 7 & 3 yrold go to bed at the same time then my 11 yrold sneaks in later
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:14 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my SKs shared a room until they were 7 and 4. We moved because I was pregnant and needed more room, so they all have their own room now. they still share a room at their mothers. they are now 9 and almost 6. We don't agree that they should be sharing rooms, but we can't do much about it. The oldest is a girl and the youngest is a boy.

you should be able to have your kids share rooms. We always have put the kids to bed at the same time. They would get in trouble for playing or talking so they have learned that bed time is not play time. I don't think you will have that problem for awhile though.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have 5. Mine shared a room until they became teens. Now my 9 yr old ds and 5 yr old dd shaer a room. My oldest teen is moving out in May and when he does my 9 yr old will move into their room. I dont see a problem with it. My teen boys had to share a room for a long time.

Answer by gemgem at 11:18 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• mine are 3 & 4 and boy and girl. It works out fine for us. Right now they are sharing because we have to do some remodeling to move a wall before they can have their own room.
    They enjoy playing together so until they start complaining that they want their own room, I'm not worried about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Two girls -- 17 months and 33 months -- they share a room. The little one is in a crib and my big girl is in a twin bed with a guard rail. We put them together when we moved in September, so the little one was 11 months. We could have done it sooner, had we tried it, though. Pretty much from the beginning, bedtime hasn't been an issue. They don't tend to wake one another in the middle of the night, either. The only trouble we have is occasionally in the mornings -- one will wake up early, so the other's up, too. And they take turns at this. But still, it's not every day... both are capable of sleeping through the other one waking up. I think if you want another child, don't let the space be an issue. Your little one can be in a pack n play in your room for however long you like -- 6 months or so? (Our little one was in a pack n play in her own room, but it may as well have been our room, until 11 months).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Also we have them nap in separate rooms now -- we put the pack n' play in our room for the little one because during naps they would keep each other up or wake each other up.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have 2 boys, they are 10 and almost 8. When we started homeschooling last year, we had to move them into the same room so that we could use my youngest son's room as our schoolroom. They love sharing a room!!! My husband built them a bunkbed and many times we have to bang on the wall and yell for them to quiet down, quit playing and go to sleep!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• We have a 6, 7 and 13 yr old, all boys... Our 6 and 7 yr old share a room with bunk beds, and their room is 15x15, so it's pretty big. They are best friends and love sharing a room. We feel our 13 yr old needs his own room since he's a teen...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2010