Potty training... when?

I am beginning potty training with my 21 month old daughter. She is doing very well. 4 pees on the potty yesterday, and one today (no wet diapers during the day yesterday or today... Yesterday was our first day trying. :)!!! I have a question though... when are you supposed to start training for overnight? and how do you do it?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 11:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she ever wake up dry? How about naps? My daughter trained young,19 months. It has been a year and she still wakes up soaked in the morning so she's still in a pull-up (though last night she did wake up, walk to the bathroom, pee, and get back in her bed all by herself, a huge milestone for us!). I have a friend whose son trained at 18 months and started waking up dry right away so they trained for days and nights at the same time. I now have a 17 month old who just had a day about like your daughter's followed by waking dry, so I think we'll be tackling days and nights at the same time. Basically, day and night training require completely different skill sets. Night training requires a more mature bladder than day training, so it's very common for kids to continue wetting at night a year or more after training during the day. Some parents wake their kids to pee, which I won't do. I'd wait for a few dry nights first.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:20 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I also recently asked a question like this, so if you wanted to see the wide range of experiences people responded with:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/preschool/forums/read/10704498/
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I think you can train whenever your child is willing to go along with it. When they're showing their ready. Her willingness to go on the toilet is a good indicator she's ready.

Seems you're doing it right. With mine, I asked him every hour or two if he was needing to go. I would randomly give him a treat for it, so he never knew when he'd get one, giving more incentive to going all the time because you never know which time you'll get the trinket. All A Dollar has good toddler prizes. Praise them when they do it. The Elmo Potty time was also helpful. He watched them and often talked about Elmo goes potty.

As far as wetting beds, my son has 1-2 times in 6 months. He's never had a problem with it. Don't give drinks an hour before bedtime, tell them to go before bed. Leave night lights in the bathroom so they can go by themselves at night if they need to... or tell them to come get you if they need to go at night. Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2010