Do you give your kids cold meds?

I have a 3.5 year old who's got a little cold. Was wondering if anyone out there gives there kids and cold meds? I never have, just curious.

sweetevilness23

Asked by sweetevilness23 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I did when mine were little but that was before the thing about "don't give children cold meds" that they tell you now. I never had a prob. Just ask your doc what you should do... a quick call to the office and they should be able to reccomend something over the phone.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• The only thing I've ever given to my 9 yr old and my 1 year old is infants or childrens tylenol or motrin. It never occurred to me to buy anything else...because that is just what has always worked for us, so I never even asked a doctor about anything else,lol. I do rub baby vix vapor rub on the baby when she is sick and regular vix rub on my son when he is sick. And of course if the are prescribed something..but that has only been an anibiotic.
    I really don't know the pros and cons of giving a young child cold meds...give your doctors nurse a call. They could probably give you the best advice on that. Good luck and hope your little one feels better soon! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• no. i don't believe it is right to suppress the body's immune system. the nose is runny to get rid of sick cells, the cough is there to get rid of sick cells...i do use a vaporizer, and when a cold hits i do give extra fluids...and juice (juice is usually 1x a week, but when sick, i just want them to get extra fluids!)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• No. We've always let him fight off his own colds and now, 13 years later, he rarely catches a cold, even when most of his class is out with the flu or something.
    Anonymous

• We use Boiron Coldcalm

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• sort of. I have in the past but now I usually use vicks on them or one of those plug ins. And tylenol if they are running a fever at night to help them sleep.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• No, my daughter is 4 years old and I don't think she needs anything to help with a cold. The body needs to fight it off , I don't want to medicate her for something so silly that it will not work properly when she really needs it at a later date because her body is immune to it! If she has a fever I will use only Tylenol.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2010