I NEED to get more organized...How many socks/shirts/bottoms etc should one have?

Hi-- I am in the process of "decluttering" my house/life lol! I open my sock drawers and am just overwhelmed... part of the reason is that I have kept socks from like 10 years ago... (I am not a true hoarder...maybe a bit on clothes) Except for the socks my justifications in keeping soooo may clothing items is that I had a baby a year ago and am working on getting to the size I was before I got married.... So I have clothes of all sizes...

If you are an organized person-- what do your clothes/dressers look like?

How many tops/bottoms/dresses...etc do you keep?
Also- Any other advice on helping me be organized?

Thanks

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 11:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You need enough socks to get through until the next normal wash day. As for actual numbers, that really varies from person to person. Here's another way to think about it: 1. You shouldn't have more for any season than you can store in your closet/dresser in a manner in which it's easy to see what you have. 2. If you haven't worn something in quite a while, you probably won't (something like a fancy dress you only wear to weddings is an exception). With something like socks, go through and weed out the ones that are getting worn, and the ones you don't like. 3. When you buy new things, you have to get rid of some old ones.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I've slowly been decluttering my wardrobe too.
    I have discovered that as long as I keep up with the laundry, I could honestly survive with about 3 or 4 of everything! but that makes for a boring wardrobe LOL

So I've just been slowly getting rid of things I haven't worn in a few months (seasonal items excluded of course) Why keep that sweater I never wear? right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 19, 2010