is ok for him nap in his chair?

my lil guy has to be rocked to sleep for a nap and for the night. strangely, he will sleep swaddled flat on his back through most of the night but when i try to put him down to nap on a flat surface, he wakes up once he touches the mattress. so i have been putting him in his chair. its shaped like a bouncy chair, but acts like a rocking chair (when he naps, i have it so it doesnt rock). he seems less disturbed because i guess the shape fits him better? idk.
just making sure its ok for him to nap in some what of a layed back sitting position.
also, what are some ideas on how to get him to fall asleep on his own w/o me having to rock him to sleep?

Chrisie1201

Asked by Chrisie1201 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleeping in the chair, perfectly fine, as long as he seems okay with it. I hate it when my kids look uncomfy. :D Maybe him not laying flat is more comfy for him, which is the point anyway.

As for getting him to sleep without rocking him, would be hard, but do-able. You'd have to just not rock him and let him cry it out a few times. Which is the hardest part for me is letting them cry. How old is your little one?
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:45 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yes it's okay. My little ones slept anywhere they were comfy when they were babies. Infact, my oldest was born with a nasal issue that made it virtually impossible for her to sleep laying flat, so she slept many nights in a swing next to my bed because she HAD to sit up to breathe. Many people may disagree with that but she couldn't breathe well laying flat. My youngest will fall asleep instantly in a swing and she doesn't have problems so I move her to her crib when she's out and she'll stay out for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• LOL I guess it's ok but I recently babysat for a child who was 2 and she still napped in a bouncy chair in front of the TV. She was definately too big for the chair. I broke her of it in no time by just telling her she was a big girl and she could sleep on the couch.
    Sometimes it's harder on the parents to change habits because all yo ucan do is stop the behavior cold turkey. It takes a couple of days but thats usually it. You just have to be able to stand a couple of tearful nights. If you don't you may have a kid like the one I babysat. Still doing it at 2-3.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'm a firm believer that for the first 3-4 months, it's whatever works. After that their systems are a bit more mature, and also they become a bit more aware of where they are and what they're doing... you may want to try the swaddling occasionally for nap time, especially if it's still working for bed. My daughters both slept swaddled until about 6 months, when they really started coming out of it all the time... this worked great for us. By that age we had the pacifier gone and they just rolled onto their tummies and slept better than ever! Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yes, that is fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• As for getting him to sleep without rocking him to sleep... just establish a nice soothing routine, and once he gets to be about 4 months old (or you can try sooner), start getting him close to sleep but not fully asleep and then put him down. if you follow the same routine you always have except for the last moments of rocking, he should already know that sleep is coming. He may fuss a little bit (I am not advocating "cry-it-out" so no drama, people), but he should get it if you keep trying. With my daughter, it was the nursing to sleep that she needed. I just switched around her routine so instead of bath, book, (lights out) nurse-to-sleep, it was bath, nurse (with lights on), book, (lights out), put her in bed awake but relaxed. She hardly made a peep most nights.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yep, it's fine. He'll grow out of it. My son would only nap either in the swing or the car for months, and now, he's fine. We still have to rock him to sleep, however, so I can't help you there, but he is sleeping in the crib now. Give it time.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2010