What to do about coverage?

I am pregnant and my dh just found a well paying job in another state. I currently have medicaid right now in the state we are currently in but am told I have to cancel this one b4 trying to apply in another state. Well dh will be making too much to qualify for medicaid and he has to go through his 90 days b4 being eligible for any kind of health coverage the job offers. I know it's not safe to wait 3 mos w/o getting any tests done, and blood work done. And now I've been told that some companies can treat pregnancy as a pre-existing condition. I've been looking up health coverage on the net and for the whole family (we have 2 other LOs) it would be too much. Are there any cheaper alternatives? We will be living in DE if that helps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What about keeping your medicaid and just coming back into state to have the baby? I don't know how far away you are moving...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• He will make to much for you to qualify for preg. medicaid? Call social services where you will be moving and ask them if you would even qualify for the plan with the deductable!? Other than that all i can say is take the extra he will be making and start putting it in savings for this baby, or you stay in your current state until you have this baby!? IDK thats rough..INS is super expensive for people in the best of health! GL
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I would not cancel my medicaid until they say you don't qualify for it anymore due to his new job. I would call the Health dept or Planned Parenthood and ask them what do it in your type of situation. You could also discuss it with your doctor. Can you stay in your state of residence now until after the birth?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i agree w/ pp if there is anyone you can stay with for a few months...until things get sorted out might be the best thing. how far along are you, and what tests do you think you would be missing?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'll be moving 5 states away. Do you think that some doctor offices will let you make payments? I was reading that some birthing centers do that and they are cheaper than giving birth at a hospital.
    Anonymous

• even if you drop the medicaid and wait for him to get coverage, you won't be able to use it as the pregnancy will be a preexisting condition at that point.
    Anonymous

• It is illegal for a company to say pregnancy is a preexisting condiditon. I know this for a fact. It is a federal law that an insurance company cannot call it that. I found out when I became pregnant right after my DH started a new job. And yes, most doctor's offices will accept a payment plan. In fact, if there is a medical school that has a section for actually seeing patients nearby, you can do that too until your DH's insurance kicks in. There is one where I'm from that Medicaid patients go to and yes, they see actual doctors. If none of those work, you'll probably have to stay in the state where you have Medicaid. It is fraud to do what others are suggesting you do and just travel back and forth. How far along are you, anyway?
    Anonymous

• I'm 13 weeks along btw
    Anonymous

• As far as I know if you move to another state your medicaid will automaticaly end if the state you have it in finds out you moved, and believe me they will. You will not be able to buy your own healthcare while pregnant, they will treat it as a pre existing condition. My advice is stay where you are to have the baby or you will get screwed.
    Anonymous

• you need to talk to the new state again. because typically if you cannot get coverage due a wait like this and are pregnant they have a sliding fee for you to be covered,
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2010