• In the Spotlight:

Confused.

So, my baby is CONSTANTLY fussy. I have always thought it was stomach problems. Until recently I'm starting to think maybe I'M the one to blame. I've noticed when he wakes up (he sleeps through the night), he is SO happy. He eats his bottle, then lays on the floor smiling and cooing up at me, we play and play and play. Then, as the day goes on (it seems like after every bottle) he gets a little bit fussier, and then by 7 at night, forget it, he's just plain MAD. (And nothing helps soothe him by that time.) Well today, I lowered the amount of formula in his bottle, he ate it all, so normally I would have given him more, but this time I didn't. I layed him on the floor.. and he fell asleep, right then and there. No tears, no fussing. Do you think maybe I've just been over feeding him this whole time? I thought babies knew when they were full?!

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 12:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies can be over fed. And when bottle feeding, should really be fed until content, not, till they quit. Some babies don't know the difference between hunger, thirst or gas. They will just gobble up a bottle in their mouths. My aunt never watched or learned her babies cues. She put a bottle in my cousins mouth ANYTIME he even whimpered. He was so roly poly, he couldn't move and would spit up/vomit if you moved him or sat him up. He couldn't roll over or sit up forever bacause he was so round.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• They do know when they are full. Unfortunately we don't. Babies have a small stomach so it doesn't take a lot to fill it. Keep the amount lowered and see how he does. Also it sounds as if he's flat out getting over stimulated. Allow some down time from the play play play. Babies still usually nap until they are two years or so.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• That's a good question but I think it should be answered by your pediatrician who tracks baby's weight and height growth separately and combined. He or she can discuss different formulas and baby's tummy too for comfort, you and doctor together really stand the best chance for best growth and comfort.

My youngest daughter at about four and a half months old went through a time that she raged and ranted horribly. I was so upset thinking she was very very ill. I took her to my ped and she called my daughter a barquada baby - she was overfed and screamed as she was doing cuz her brain and tummy got used to food either on demand or specific hours at that age.

Call your ped, and see what they say -sometimes issues can be resolved duirng office hours with the ped having baby's files in front of them other times they want to see baby. Ask all your questions, don't be afraid. Change docs if they don't care.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• It is hard for a baby to regulate a bottle feed. They have a very strong need to suck so even when not hungry they'll keep sucking if their need outstrips their "full meter". Also, a bottle will keep dripping milk into the mouth with certain nipples so the baby has no choice but to swallow or choke (there are nipples out there that do require active sucking in order to release milk instead of a passive flow). The problem isn't that babies don't know that they are full, it is that artificial nipples don't behave like real ones. On a breast, a baby can change their suck type and that changes milk flow and milk flow happens in intervals and not constantly.

See how he does with less formula at a time given at more frequent intervals.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• They DO know when they're full, but they can't control a bottle all that well.

It's also quite normal to see a baby fuss in the evening, and for the cure to be something different daily. See if you can repeat your results; then you'll know for sure whether the reduced bottle is the trick.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2010