Do you plan out your dinners for the week?

How do I begin...thank you. M-F (S&S)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• No, but I used to, and I really should start again. What I did was get on a recipe website, find some stuff you'd like to cook. Make a list of all the ingredients you'll need to take with you. (And it seemed like by doing that we spent less money, and the trip to the store was way shorter!)
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 12:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i usually used to plan out our meals a week in advance around the coming sales at the stores. but now with a stockpile i just grab whatever i feel like making

I would sit down and jot out your families favorite basic meals. set yourself up a schedule with one or two nights being something newer and different
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Hey there! What I usually do is go grocery shopping on the weekends if I can. I like to write out a grocery list and ill add things on there to what i plan on cooking for the week...sometimes ill write on the back sheet what meals id like to cook that week, then on the front side ill write down the ingredients ill need for each meal.

amanda_3

Answer by amanda_3 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yes, most definately. Helps me save time when I am grocery shopping ( as well as money as I don't end up buying useless things) and saves me time in the evenings too. I just look at the menu list and make what is there. I don't ha ve a specific meal planned for mon-sunday. Rather I plan 7 meals . That gives me a bit of flexibility!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 12:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yes I do. I sit down with the Sunday paper and see what is on sale. I plan around that. I get my cook book out and look Thur my recipes and see what sounds good and have not had in a bit. We do have some thing we always keep up on. Like frozen pizza, spaghetti stuff, soups, snack foods.

Anonymous

• I plan out a week at LEAST in advance. I often make a list of meals for the month and shop once a month accordingly, then every week I can sit down, pick 7 meals and plan for that week. I usually have 3 meals using chicken, 2 or 3 meals using beef, 1 - 2 meals are vegetarian or soup/stews. That gives me enough room so that we aren't eating chicken 2 nights in a row or beef all week.

I'm a member of the Weekly Menu Group here on Cafemom. I and several other ladies post our weekly menus to get ideas and recipes.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• You begin by making a list of all the meals your family enjoys eating. I have mine separated into categories like Chicken, skillet meals, casseroles, soups/stews, beef, pork, etc. Then I take stock of what I already have in my freezers & pantry. I try to make up meals from what I already have on hand, then I'll fill in with ideas from sale items or cheaper meals. I add necessary lunch & breakfast items and make sure I have all the ingredients on hand to make the meals I've planned. 

I like to use the site www.mealsmatter.org to help me organize my menus. If you take the time to enter your recipes or use their recipes, you can even print off a shopping list for convenience.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yes. I usually open a word document and go down the page writing the dates and then writing in meals for the week including in our leftover and pizza days. After I'm done I figure what I don't have already and buy what I need; usually its 2-4 weeks worth of meals planned out. I prefer this method so we all know what we’re eating, and trips to the grocery stores limited keeping our food budget at a good price.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Sort of..While shopping I'll pick out a variety of meats and staples for side dishes and veggies to go with different things..But nothing is set in stone..I always have pasta and rice in bulk at home and plenty of herbs and spices so I whip up whatever we are all in the mood for..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 1:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I will write out at the top of my list S S S S M T W T and under each I will write a meal. (there are 4 s's because I plan big lunches for the entire family on the weekends)

We don't necessarily eat the meal on that day but that way I know we have something in the house for each meal. I know the few times dh and I have gone shopping without a list in the almost 6 years we've been together we spend much much more than if we have that list. We also sometimes end up with incomplete meals or too many meals.

Then I write down how many lunches dh will need for work (b/c he takes leftovers) and how many ds and I need then we make sure everyone has enough lunch food for the week. Then I will grab a couple things for ds to have for breakfast and then we pick out one or two things for snacks.

This really helps save money as long as you stick to the list. Also eating before shopping helps cut down on impulse buys too!
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2010